The SmartWay® Program is a public-private initiative between EPA, large and small trucking companies, rail carriers, logistics
companies, commercial manufacturers, retailers, and other federal and state agencies. Its purpose is to improve fuel efficiency and the environmental performance (reduction of both greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution) of the goods movement supply chains.
Launched in 2004, SmartWay® is an EPA program that reduces transportation-related emissions by creating incentives to improve supply chain fuel efficiency.
"You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more."
Basic Information about SmartWay
SmartWay aims to accelerate the availability, adoption and market penetration of advanced fuel efficient technologies and operational practices in the freight supply chain, while helping companies save fuel, lower costs and reduce adverse environmental impacts. EPA helps SmartWay Partners move more goods, more miles with lower emissions and less energy.
SmartWay is comprised of four components:
- SmartWay Transport Partnership: A partnership in which freight carriers and shippers commit to benchmark operations, track fuel consumption and improve performance annually.
- SmartWay Technology Program: A testing, verification, and designation program to help freight companies identify equipment, technologies and strategies that save fuel and lower emissions.
- SmartWay Vehicles: A program that ranks light-duty cars and small trucks and identifies superior environmental performers with the SmartWay logo.
- SmartWay International Interests: Guidance and resources for countries seeking to develop freight sustainability programs modeled after SmartWay.
- SmartWay Program Overview (PDF) (1 p, 197K, EPA-420-F-14-006, February 2014)
- SmartWay Partnership Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 4MB, EPA-120-F-14-034, September 2014).
- SmartWay Program Highlights 2014 (PDF) (1p, 546K, EPA-420-F-14-003, January 2014)
Fast Facts About
SmartWay Transport Partnership
Collectively achieved (cumulative, 2004 - now)*:
- Over 3,000 partners
- $16.8 billion dollars in fuel costs saved
- Saved 120.7 million barrels of oil -- the equivalent of taking over 10 million cars off the road for an entire year.
- 51.6 million metric tons CO2 reductions
- 738,000 tons NOx reductions
- 37,000 tons PM reductions
The SmartWay® Brand
SmartWay stands for cleaner, more efficient transportation options that improve air quality by reducing emissions that cause smog and climate change.
The SmartWay logo identifies companies that commit to reduce transportation-related emissions.
SmartWay has stringent standards for logo use and limits its use as follows:
- Partners can use the SmartWay Transport Partner logo on promotional material (e.g., websites, advertisements, etc.).
- Original equipment manufacturers can label some equipment as “Designated SmartWay” at point-of-sale.
- Affiliates can use some versions of the logo to promote awareness of SmartWay.
Review the SmartWay Graphics Standards and Usage Guide (PDF) (33pp, 412K, EPA-420-B-11-014, April 2011) document for specific requirements.
This site index lists keywords and phrases that will help you find information that is part of EPA's SmartWay web site.
The following list contains terms and keywords that our Web visitors frequently search for. The pages the terms and keywords link to are popular choices for information; however, the Web site may contain information about these terms on other pages.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Suggest a Term to Add to This Page
We'll consider adding your suggestions if EPA has Web content related to the terms you suggest. While we appreciate your ideas, note that we are unable to respond to individual e-mails. If you have general suggestions for EPA other than about terms for the A-Z Index, contact us.
USEPA Office of Transportation and Air Quality
SmartWay Transport Group
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
SmartWay Call Center
For media inquiries, please contact:
- Carissa Cyran
Desk: (202) 564-4363
Cell: (202) 760-5042