SmartWay Transport Partnership
SmartWay Affiliates commit to promoting SmartWay within the freight transport industry. Affiliates are organizations that encourage members or customers to participate in the SmartWay Transport Partnership.
The following types of organizations are eligible to be SmartWay Affiliates:
- SmartWay Non-Profit Affiliates are trade and professional associations; membership, nongovernmental organizations; academic institutions and governmental agencies that educate their constituents about the SmartWay program.
- SmartWay Truck/Trailer Dealerships promote and sell EPA-designated SmartWay Tractors or Trailers and SmartWay-verified technologies.
- SmartWay Leasing Companies promote and lease SmartWay-designated vehicles, tractors or trailers to dealerships and/or multiple franchises.
- SmartWay Truck stops/travel plazas educate customers about ways to reduce long duration idling.
Ready to join?
Download and complete the agreement.Then e-mail it to EPA at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
"You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more."
- Affiliate Partnership Agreement (PDF) (1 p, 51K)
Have more questions? Call us at 734-214-4767 or email us at email@example.com.
Participate in the 2013-2014 SmartWay Affiliate Challenge
The SmartWay 2013-2014 Affiliate Challenge provides EPA with the opportunity to publicly acknowledge the important contributions of SmartWay Affiliates. Dedicated Affiliates are critical to the SmartWay program's continued success. The commitment and enthusiasm of SmartWay Affiliates raises program awareness and supports EPA's mission of protecting human health and the environment.
To highlight the valuable role of Affiliates in the SmartWay program, EPA will acknowledge Affiliates that conduct exceptional recruiting, outreach and educational activities which inspire and encourage others to join SmartWay and advance supply chain sustainability.
Affiliates that complete the following activities within the Challenge time period (March 1, 2013 - March 1, 2014) will merit special acknowledgment:
- Create or coordinate the creation of a designated sustainability/environmental webpage describing your organization's sustainability focus, including, highlighting and/or featuring its engagement with the SmartWay Transport Partnership
- Disseminate SmartWay PSAs internally, i.e., to your members and stakeholders (website, internal newsletter)
- Host at least one briefing, workshop or webinar to educate and inform internal and external stakeholders about the SmartWay Partnership program
- Co-Host with SmartWay HQ or Regions at least one SmartWay overview webinar
- Develop and distribute joint letter to membership asking them to engage in SmartWay
- Share SmartWay information on your social media sites
- Place PSA in external commercial publication
- Identify champion at member organization for joint follow up
- Assist SmartWay partners with tool completion
How will recipients be recognized?
- Awardees will be recognized on the SmartWay website in time for Earth Day, 2014.
- EPA will develop a press release template for Challenge participants to use in their own Earth Day activities.
- Honorees will be invited to attend SmartWay Excellence Award ceremony
- EPA will send a congratulatory letter to the organization's Board of Directors.
- EPA will publicize the Affiliate Challenge and the honorees in a special Earth Day edition of the SmartWay E-update.
Ready to participate in the Affiliate Challenge?
Download and complete the attached form. Use the resources found in the Affiliate Tool Kit to help you complete the activities.
- Affiliate Challenge Application (PDF) (3 pp, 58K, EPA420-F-13-037, June 2013)
Note: Acknowledgement by EPA SmartWay does not imply endorsement of the Affiliate or of Affiliate's products or services.
Resources for Affiliates
SmartWay Affiliate And Community Tool Kit
The SmartWay Affiliate and Community Tool Kit helps affiliates and community members meet their commitment to advance and support the mission and goals of SmartWay to their members and customers. Complete the activities below and help your members and customers save fuel, money and the environment!
Use these resources on your intranet site, public website, member newsletter--wherever your members get information about your commitment to a cleaner environment.
Ways you can help spread the word about SmartWay:
Present SmartWay Transport Partnership to your members (PPT) (12 pp, 4.4M)
This presentation will help you educate your members or associates regarding the goals and benefits of SmartWay.
Share the SmartWay Program Highlights (PDF) (1 p, 61K, EPA-420-F-13-011, February 2013)
Place the SmartWay Affiliate logo on your website (PDF) (33 pp, 414K)AFFILIATES AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS: Use the SmartWay web button as a way to link from your website to the SmartWay website. This buttons is for promotional/educational purposes only, and can only be placed on your website. Web buttons must be coded by the company or organization when uploaded. Web coding is also included for your convenience.
AFFILIATES ONLY: Review the SmartWay Graphics Standards and Usage Guide (PDF), then complete and sign the Mark Use Signature Page. Upon receipt of your signed and completed Mark Use Signature Page and following a brief review, the official SmartWay Affiliate mark files will be sent to you for promotional purposes. The SmartWay Affiliate mark can be used on marketing materials and on your website as a link to the SmartWay website. This is a great way to show your affiliation with SmartWay.
<a href="http://www.epa.gov/smartway"><img src="http://www.epa.gov/otaq/smartway/images/partnership/community/smartway-web-button.gif" alt="Visit to the SmartWay Website" width="216" height="144"></a>
Include the "Why Join SmartWay" letter in your newsletter or blog (DOC) (1 pp, 26K)
This letter can be tailored and personalized for your membership magazines, trade media, etc.
Place the "Reflects Well" print advertisement in your newsletters or trade media (PDF) (1 pp, 230 KB)
Promote the benefits of SmartWay Designated Tractors and Trailers to your members.
Tell your members about the benefits of SmartWay Verified Technologies
EPA has evaluated the fuel saving benefits of various devices through grants, cooperative agreements, emissions and fuel economy testing, demonstration projects and technical literature review. As a result, EPA has determined that various types of technologies provide fuel saving and/or emission reducing benefits when used properly in their designed applications.
Learn more about SmartWay verified technologies.
Tell your members about SmartWay Trends, Indicators, and Partner Statistics (TIPS)—EPA's source for leading freight movement industry indicators and quick facts on current SmartWay Partner performance metrics.
Place the "SmartWay Certified Vehicle" print advertisement in your newsletter (PDF) (1 p, 981K)
Inform your employees and encourage members to inform their employees about the benefits of owning or leasing SmartWay Certified cars. When you buy a SmartWay certified vehicle, you are helping to reduce air pollution and improve energy efficiency. It’s the smart way to make an important contribution to a cleaner environment and our energy independence.
April 22, 2013: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) SmartWay Transport Partnership is pleased to recognize the efforts and achievements of outstanding SmartWay Affiliates honorees through the 2013 SmartWay Affiliate Challenge.