SmartWay For Supporters
SmartWay has room for just about everyone.
The partnership component of SmartWay is reserved for retailers, manufacturers, distributors, cargo owners and other shippers, as well as private fleets, commercial carriers, rail carriers, multimodal carriers, freight brokers and 3rd party logistics providers.
If you do not fall into any of those categories, there's still a way for you to participate. SmartWay invites you to participate in the program as an Affiliate or join the SmartWay Community.
Affiliate and Community participation are described below.
"You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more."
Participation as an Affiliate
SmartWay Affiliates commit to promoting SmartWay within the freight transport industry. Affiliates are organizations that encourage members or customers to participate in the SmartWay Transport Partnership.
The following types of organizations are eligible to be SmartWay Affiliates:
- SmartWay Non-Profit Affiliates are trade and professional associations; membership, nongovernmental organizations; academic institutions and governmental agencies that educate their constituents about the SmartWay program.
- SmartWay Truck/Trailer Dealerships promote and sell EPA-designated SmartWay Tractors or Trailers and SmartWay-verified technologies.
- SmartWay Leasing Companies promote and lease SmartWay-designated vehicles, tractors or trailers to dealerships and/or multiple franchises.
- SmartWay Truck stops/travel plazas educate customers about ways to reduce long duration idling.
Ready to join?
Download and complete the agreement. Then e-mail it to EPA at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Affiliate Partnership Agreement (PDF) (1 pp, 51 K)
Have more questions? Call us at (734) 214-4767 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Using the SmartWay Affiliate Logo
Participating SmartWay Affiliates are encouraged to promote the goals of SmartWay through education and marketing of tools, technologies, strategies and policies promoted by the SmartWay Transport Partnership. Use of the SmartWay brand logo is limited to non-profit Affiliates.
Review the SmartWay Graphics Standards and Usage Guide (PDF) (33pp, 412K, EPA-420-B-11-014, April 2011), then complete and sign the logo use signature page. The signature of your organization’s designated official means that your organization understands and agrees to adhere to the SmartWay logo use guidelines. Upon receipt of your signed and completed logo use signature form and following a brief review, the official SmartWay brand logo files will be sent to you for promotional purposes.
NOTE: Manufacturers of SmartWay verified technologies are prohibited from using the SmartWay logo. Manufacturers of SmartWay verified technologies provide technologies that assist our Partners with meeting their goals and thus indirectly contribute to SmartWay program goals. However, use of the SmartWay logo could potentially confuse the public about the SmartWay brand, and could imply an improper endorsement by EPA of the product.
For more details and explanation about SmartWay brand logo qualifications for manufacturers of SmartWay verified technologies, download the SmartWay Verified Technologies Communication Guidelines (PDF) (5pp, 178K, February 2010).
To request a high resolution copy of the SmartWay brand logo, contact us.
Participation as a Community Member
What does it mean to be a member of the SmartWay Community?
Community Members are for-profit companies that share the goals of the program and are committed to promoting greater energy efficiency and air quality within the freight transport sector.
Am I eligible to become a member of the SmartWay Community?
SmartWay Community members are open to any for-profit company associated with the freight transportation industry. If your company profile meets the criteria of a shipper, truck carrier, rail carrier, or logistics company, we encourage you to join as a SmartWay Partner; non-profits can join as SmartWay Affiliates.
How do I join the SmartWay Community?
Fill out the form below and you will receive periodic community updates via email.
As a community member, do I have access to the SmartWay logo?
No, as a "for-profit" company, you do not have access to the SmartWay logo.
You are, however, allowed to use SmartWay web button (below) as a way to link from your website to the SmartWay website. This buttons is for promotional/educational purposes only, and can only be placed on your website.
SmartWay Web Button: Web buttons must be coded by the company or organization when uploaded. Web coding is also enclosed for your convenience.
<a href="http://www.epa.gov/smartway"><img src="../images/partnership/community/smartway-web-button.gif" alt="Visit to the SmartWay Website" width="216" height="144"></a>
What other resources can I use?
As a community member, you can encourage members of your company or community to learn more about SmartWay by including links to SmartWay content on your website, in your newsletters/ezines, on your social media pages, and in other publications. You can find additional resources on this website and will periodically receive special notices about the program via email.
Take the 2013-2014 SmartWay Affiliate Challenge
The SmartWay 2013-2014 Affiliate Challenge provides EPA with the opportunity to publicly acknowledge the important contributions of SmartWay Affiliates. Dedicated Affiliates are critical to the SmartWay program's continued success. The commitment and enthusiasm of SmartWay Affiliates raises program awareness and supports EPA's mission of protecting human health and the environment.
To highlight the valuable role of Affiliates in the SmartWay program, EPA will acknowledge Affiliates that conduct exceptional recruiting, outreach and educational activities which inspire and encourage others to join SmartWay and advance supply chain sustainability.
Affiliates that complete the following activities within the Challenge time period (March 1, 2013 - March 1, 2014) will merit special acknowledgment:
- Create or coordinate the creation of a designated sustainability/environmental webpage describing your organization's sustainability focus, including, highlighting and/or featuring its engagement with the SmartWay Transport Partnership
- Disseminate SmartWay PSAs internally, i.e., to your members and stakeholders (website, internal newsletter)
- Host at least one briefing, workshop or webinar to educate and inform internal and external stakeholders about the SmartWay Partnership program
- Co-Host with SmartWay HQ or Regions at least one SmartWay overview webinar
- Develop and distribute joint letter to membership asking them to engage in SmartWay
- Share SmartWay information on your social media sites
- Place PSA in external commercial publication
- Identify champion at member organization for joint follow up
- Assist SmartWay partners with tool completion
How will recipients be recognized?
- Awardees will be recognized on the SmartWay website in time for Earth Day, 2014.
- EPA will develop a press release template for Challenge participants to use in their own Earth Day activities.
- Honorees will be invited to attend SmartWay Excellence Award ceremony
- EPA will send a congratulatory letter to the organization's Board of Directors.
- EPA will publicize the Affiliate Challenge and the honorees in a special Earth Day edition of the SmartWay E-update.
Ready to participate in the Affiliate Challenge?
Download and complete the attached form. Use the resources found in the Affiliate Tool Kit to help you complete the activities.
- Affiliate Challenge Application (PDF) (3 pp, 58K, EPA420-F-13-037, June 2013)
Note: Acknowledgement by EPA SmartWay does not imply endorsement of the Affiliate or of Affiliate's products or services.
Outreach Resources for Affiliates and Community Members
The SmartWay Affiliate and Community Tool Kit helps affiliates and community members meet their commitment to advance and support the mission and goals of SmartWay to their members and customers. Complete the activities below and help your members and customers save fuel, money and the environment!
Use these resources on your intranet site, public website, member newsletter--wherever your members get information about your commitment to a cleaner environment.
Ways you can help spread the word about SmartWay:
Present SmartWay Transport Partnership to your members (PPT) (12 pp, 4.4M)
This presentation will help you educate your members or associates regarding the goals and benefits of SmartWay.
Share the SmartWay Program Highlights (PDF) (1 p, 61K, EPA-420-F-14-003, February 2014)
<a href="http://www.epa.gov/smartway"><img src="http://www.epa.gov/otaq/smartway/images/partnership/community/smartway-web-button.gif" alt="Visit to the SmartWay Website" width="216" height="144"></a>
Include the "Why Join SmartWay" letter in your newsletter or blog (DOC) (1 pp, 26K)
This letter can be tailored and personalized for your membership magazines, trade media, etc.
Place the "Reflects Well" print advertisement in your newsletters or trade media (PDF) (1 pp, 230 KB)
Promote the benefits of SmartWay Designated Tractors and Trailers to your members.
Tell your members about the benefits of SmartWay Verified Technologies
EPA has evaluated the fuel saving benefits of various devices through grants, cooperative agreements, emissions and fuel economy testing, demonstration projects and technical literature review. As a result, EPA has determined that various types of technologies provide fuel saving and/or emission reducing benefits when used properly in their designed applications.
Learn more about SmartWay verified technologies.
Tell your members about SmartWay Trends, Indicators, and Partner Statistics (TIPS)—EPA's source for leading freight movement industry indicators and quick facts on current SmartWay Partner performance metrics.
Place the "SmartWay Certified Vehicle" print advertisement in your newsletter (PDF) (1 p, 981K)
Inform your employees and encourage members to inform their employees about the benefits of owning or leasing SmartWay Certified cars. When you buy a SmartWay certified vehicle, you are helping to reduce air pollution and improve energy efficiency. It’s the smart way to make an important contribution to a cleaner environment and our energy independence.
Use these tools at conferences, trade shows, etc. as a way to show your participation in SmartWay.
- SmartWay Partner Placard (PDF) (1 pp, 1.4 M) The dimensions of the SmartWay Partner Placard are 8.5 x 5.5 inches which prints best on white foam board. PMS colors are 3005 and 347
- SmartWay Truck Banner (PDF) (1 pp, 48 K)
Print instructions: banner file is 25 percent of the actual banner size (actual banner size: 87" x 36"). The printer has to enlarge the file to the actual banner dimensions before printing. Create the banner with 8 grommets for the top of the banner and 8 grommets on the bottom.