State and Local Climate and Energy Program
State Inventory and Projection Tool
EPA’s State Inventory and Projection Tool is an interactive spreadsheet model designed to help states develop greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventories and was developed to lessen the time it takes to develop an inventory (collecting data, identifying emission factors, etc.). The tool has two components: the state inventory tool and the projection tool.
- What is the State Inventory Tool?
- What is the Projection Tool?
- Who should use the State Inventory and Projection Tool?
- How does the State Inventory Tool work?
- Samples of Analyses that used State inventory Tools
- Download the State Inventory and Projection Tool
What is the State Inventory Tool?
EPA’s State Inventory Tool (SIT) is an interactive spreadsheet model designed to help states develop GHG emissions inventories, and provides a streamlined way to update an existing inventory or complete a new inventory. The State Inventory Tool consists of 11 estimation modules applying a top-down approach to calculate GHG emissions, and one module to synthesize estimates across all modules. The SIT gives users the option of applying their own state-specific data or using default data pre-loaded for each state. The default data are gathered by federal agencies and other sources covering fossil fuels, electricity consumption, agriculture, forestry, waste management, and industry. All of the modules examine direct GHG emissions, with the exception of the electricity consumption module which estimates indirect GHG emissions from electricity consumption. The methods used and the sectors covered are the same as those in the U.S. GHG Inventory.
The goals of the State Inventory Tool are to:
- Provide pre-loaded default data but allow for state customization.
- Increase and maximize transparency in the inventory process.
- Provide estimates for the most recent year of data availability.
- Enable sector experts to work simultaneously on different parts of the inventory.
What is the Projection Tool?
The Projection Tool allows users to create a simple forecast of emissions through 2030 based on historical emissions (imported from the SIT modules) and projections of future energy consumption, population, and economic factors. A separate energy tool is available to help states project fossil fuel consumption.
Who should use the State Inventory and Projection Tool?
The SIT and Projection Tool calculate U.S. state-level estimates only, and is most appropriate for use by state agencies or other groups seeking to develop a State GHG inventory. The tool provides an aggregated total for each sector at the state-level, and does not include emissions for specific power plants, industrial facilities, other point sources, localities, or other countries.
Local and regional governments interested in developing emissions estimates should access the following link for suggested resources: http://www.epa.gov/statelocalclimate/local/activities/ghg-inventory.html.
Individuals interested in emissions from specific facilities should consult EPA’s GHG Reporting Program (GHGRP) data set. The data set includes public information from facilities in nine industry groups that directly emit large quantities of GHGs, as well as suppliers of certain fossil fuels and is available at: http://www.epa.gov/ghgreporting/ghgdata/index.html.
How does the State Inventory Tool work?
Specific instructions for estimating emissions vary by emissions source and SIT module; however the following basic steps apply for each module:
- Select a state and any default variables or emission factors used throughout each module.
- Complete calculation worksheets by selecting to use default data, or entering state-specific data.
- View results in both tabular and graphic formats.
- Export results (for use in reports, or to use in the Synthesis module and Projection Tool).
Samples of Analyses and Reports that used State inventory Tools
- State Energy Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Emissions
- Final 2006-2008 Massachusetts Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory (PDF) (13 pp, 74K, About PDF)
- New Jersey Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Updates
Download the State Inventory and Projection Tool
Please fill out the form below to download the SIT and Projection Tool. EPA requests contact information to help us better support users and to send occasional e-mails about model updates.