You will need the free Adobe Reader to view the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Printable Version (PDF) (45 K, 1 pp)
The Site consists of areas affected by two separate and distinct sources of perchloroethylene (PCE), Vienna Cleaners and Busy Bee Cleaners. Vienna Cleaners is located at 30th Street and 5th Avenue approximately two blocks west of City Hall. The surrounding area consists of single family dwellings and private businesses. Busy Bee Cleaners is situated in a similar setting at the intersection of 27th Street and Grand Central Avenue. The plume itself encompasses an area of approximately 25 city blocks, and is primarily situated along 29th Street. Groundwater flows westward toward the Ohio River and the City of Vienna municipal water supply wells.
Current Site Status and Cleanup Actions to Date
- September 30, 2002, a Record of Decision (ROD), or clean up plan, was issued.
- Upon receiving funding in July of 2004, EPA began the necessary legal and administrative work to acquire property and access rights through outright acquisitions, easements and access agreements. These logistical tasks are essentially complete, and as of October 11, 2004, EPA has entered into the physical construction stage of the selected remedy.
EPA has conducted two Removal Actions at the site:
- The first, completed in 1999, involved the installation of two new municipal drinking water wells to partially replace the drinking water capacity lost to the City of Vienna when six municipal supply wells were discovered to be contaminated.
- The second Removal Action is ongoing and consists of an Air Sparging (PDF) (530 K, 2 pp)/Soil Vapor Extraction (PDF) (80 K, 2 pp) unit in the vicinity of the Vienna Cleaners source area.
Current Funding Status
- Remedial Action funding in the amount of $2.9 million was made available in FY'04. An additional $1.6 million in FY'05 will be needed to complete the work.
For more information on the projects at this site, please read the Vienna Tetrachloroethene Fact Sheet on the Region 3 Superfund Web site.
- Record of Decision (ROD) issued on September 30, 2002.
- Completed Remedial Design (RD) in June 2004.
- EPA has conducted two Removal Actions (RA) at the site.
- Began Air Sparging (PDF) (530 K, 2 pp)/Soil Vapor Extraction (SVE) (PDF) (80 K, 2 pp) well installation on October 11, 2004.