Bountiful/Woods Cross 5th South PCE Plume
Davis County, Utah
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Printable Version (PDF) (44 K, 2 pp)
The former W. S. Hatch Company property is located in Woods Cross, Davis County, Utah, about 10 miles north of Salt Lake City. The company, also known as Hatchco, operated as a specialized carrier of petroleum, petroleum product, petroleum solvents, and asphalt from 1936 through 1986. Hatchco facilities were also used to service, clean, and park tractor-trailers and tank trucks. Historical activities at the Hatchco property resulted in spills, leaks and/or direct releases of petroleum products and various solvents used as metal degreasers. The contaminated area includes the former Hatchco property (three acres) plus the extent of the tetrachloroethene (TCE) ground water contamination. The TCE ground water plume covers approximately 50 acres of land.
Current Site Status and Cleanup Actions to Date
- In 2001, Hatchco and EPA entered into an Administrative Order on Consent to conduct a remedial investigation/feasibility study (RI/FS) for the Hatchco portion of the site.
- Hatchco completed the RI/FS in 2004, and EPA presented a proposed cleanup plan to the community.
- In 2006, after completing a pilot study, EPA issued the Record of Decision (ROD) for the Hatchco portion of the site. The remedy selected consists of in-situ biological/chemical remediation and monitored natural attenuation of the contaminated groundwater at the source.
- The remedial design (RD) for the Hatchco portion was completed in September 2007. The design presents the plan for cleaning up the TCE and degradation products in the ground water. The design is based on data collected during the pilot study that showed that the microorganisms and the nutrients that will enhance the natural degradation of TCE and its degradation products.
- The construction activities funded in 2007 are scheduled to start during Fiscal Year 2008 and will address the ground water contamination.
Current Funding Status
- In Fiscal Year 2007, EPA obligated approximately $800,000 to address the ground water contamination.
For more information on this site, please read the the Bountiful/Woods Cross Fact Sheet on the Region 8 Superfund web site.
EPA completed a settlement agreement with the potentially responsible party (PRP) that will provide part of the funding for the cleanup work.
The PRP completed the RI/FS and EPA issued the proposed cleanup plan.
EPA issued the ROD for the Hatchco portion of the site.
The RD for the site was completed in 2007.