Elizabeth Mine (Tailing Piles)
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See
EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Printable Version (PDF) (1 pg, 37K)
The Elizabeth Mine site is an abandoned copper and iron sulfate mine located in the towns of Strafford and Thetford, VT. The 970-acre site is south of Vermont Route 132 along the West Branch of the Ompompanoosuc River. Mining and ore processing activities occurred at the site from 1820-1968. EPA is addressing the site through both short-term and long-term cleanup actions.
Current Site Status and Cleanup Actions to Date
- In 2002, EPA started a non-time critical cleanup action that focused on controlling waste sources from two tailing impoundments and rock/heap leach piles.
- EPA conducted a time-critical short-term action from 2003-2005 to stabilize parts of the tailing dam that were considered to be at risk of collapse.
- In 2006, EPA selected a long-term cleanup plan for the site.
- From 2006 to 2008, EPA implemented several parts of the non-time critical action. These parts included a surface water and shallow ground water diversion system for the two tailing impoundments, and the grading and stabilization of the parts of the tailing dam not included in the time-critical action.
- In 2007, EPA began the design for the long-term cleanup action that includes five major parts, including the Copperas Factories and Lord Brook source areas.
- In 2008, EPA completed the design for the Copperas Factories area of the site that represents a threat to human health due to lead contamination.
- Under current conditions, potential or actual human exposures are under control.
Current Funding Status
- Parts of the non-time critical action, including the cover system for two tailing piles and the relocation of a third, were not funded in Fiscal Year 2008
- In Fiscal Year 2008, EPA obligated approximately $1.5 million for cleanup activities tied to soil contamination in the Copperas Factories area.
- To date, EPA has obligated approximately $15 million for cleanup activities at this site.
For more information on this site, please read the Elizabeth Mine site fact sheet (http://yosemite.epa.gov/r1/npl_pad.nsf/701b6886f189ceae85256bd20014e93d/2281487131782426852569e400719bbe!OpenDocument) on the Region 1 Superfund web page.
- Implemented a time-critical short-term cleanup action from 2003-2005 to stabilize the tailing dam to avoid a potentially catastrophic release of tailing into the West Branch of the Ompompanoosuc River
- Selected the long-term cleanup plan for the site in 2006
- Implemented cleanup actions as part of the non-time critical action from 2006 to 2008
- Obligated funding to begin the cleanup of the lead contamination at the former Copperas Factories in 2008