Grand Traverse Overall Supply Site
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See
EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Printable Version (PDF) (1 pg, 49K)
The Grand Traverse Overall Supply (GTOS) site is a former laundry and dry cleaning facility that occupies approximately 3.9 acres of land in Greilickville, Leelanau County, MI. The facility started operating in 1950 as a commercial laundering operation and added dry cleaning operations, which took place from 1968-1987. Chlorinated volatile organic compounds such as tetrachloroethylene (PCE), trichloroethylene (TCE) and their breakdown compounds were detected in on-site soils, ground water and soil gas samples.
Current Site Status and Cleanup Actions to Date
- In 1992, an EPA cleanup investigation found that soil and ground water contamination was low and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) had cleaned up the original source of contamination.
- In 2001, the MDEQ initiated a ground water investigation and discovered a previously unidentified PCE- and TCE-contaminated ground water plume which was moving off site.
- In 2005 and 2006, EPA completed a site investigation that identified a new source area under the GTOS building. The investigation determined the extent of the ground water plume.
- In 2007, EPA initiated vapor intrusion studies at the GTOS facility as well as the elementary school next door. Findings led to the installation of a soil vapor extraction (SVE) system at the school.
- In 2008, the EPA removal program completed a time-critical cleanup action to remove the GTOS building and the most highly contaminated soils.
- EPA selected a cleanup plan to address the remaining soils and ground water contamination onsite. The plan also included continued operations of the SVE system that was installed at the school.
Current Funding Status
- In Fiscal Year 2008, EPA obligated approximately $900,000 for site activities including actions to clean up remaining soils and ground water contamination.
- To date, EPA has obligated a total of approximately $4.1 million for cleanup activities at this site.
For more information on this site, please read the Grand Traverse Overall Supply site fact sheet (http://www.epa.gov/region5superfund/npl/michigan/MID017418559.htm) on the Region 5 Superfund web site.
- Conducted a short-term cleanup action in 2008 to remove the site building and address some of the highly contaminated soils (for off-site disposal)
- Selected the final cleanup plan in 2008