Green Meeting Policy
- Presentation materials are now available for many conference sessions. Please visit the abstracts page to see if materials are available for your sessions.
- Registration is now closed. You are welcome to register on-site in Atlanta, but please note that many sessions are now full. Please contact Catherine Sims (email@example.com or 301-589-5318 ext. 23) with any registration-related questions.
- Online streaming registration is still open! If you cannot attend in person, click here to register for the online streaming sessions.
- The room block at the Sheraton is now closed.
EPA Green Meetings and Conferences Policy, May 1, 2007
The mission of the EPA is to protect human health and the environment. We expect that all Agency meetings and conferences will be staged using as many environmentally preferable measures as possible. Environmentally preferable means products or services that have a lesser or reduced effect on the environment when compared with competing products or services that serve the same purpose.
As in past years, we are striving to make the Community Involvement Training Conference more earth-friendly. Some of the things we are doing to reduce the environmental impact of the conference include:
- Selecting a hotel that has instituted numerous energy and water efficiency projects, recycling and waste reduction initiatives, and measures to reduce the use of harsh cleaning products. For more on the hotel’s environmental initiatives visit: http://www.sheratonatlantahotel.com/Press-Room/Press-Room/2009/THE-Greenest-Hotel-in-Atlanta-The-Sheraton-Downtown
- Reducing printed conference documents by distributing documents electronically/online and minimizing handouts during the conference.
- Using only conference folders and necessary handouts printed on high post-consumer recycled content paper using vegetable-based ink.
- Recycling name-badge holders.
- Holding our traditional "Tote-Bag Exchange" instead of procuring new tote bags for conference participants.
- Encouraging conference participants to use public transportation or share rides when traveling between the airport and the hotel. If just 100 people share rides to and from the airport, we'll reduce the conference's carbon footprint by more than 1,000 pounds!
Please join us in reaching this goal. What can you do to reduce your impact?
- Bring a reusable drinking container for water or coffee.
- Plan to bring new or gently-used tote-bags to use for yourself or to trade at the "Tote-Bag Exchange" to carry your conference materials.
- Take only materials and food that you need to minimize waste and look for recycling bins around the hotel for your recyclable materials.
- Recycle your name badge holder at the registration desk.
- Share a ride back to the airport with other conference participants. A sign-up sheet will be located in the conference registration area.