- Crystal Screen 2011—Outdoor Film Festival
- Monuments by Moonlight Tour
- Evening in Old Town Alexandria
Crystal Screen: By the Numbers—Outdoor Film Festival
Monday, July 18: 8:00–10:00 pm
For the 5th year, the Crystal City Business Improvement District has been transforming the courtyard across from the Crystal City Metro into an outdoor movie theatre. These movies are free and afford the opportunity to meet new friends, have a picnic, and enjoy the evening under the stars. This year's theme is Crystal Screen: By the Numbers—all the movies have a number in their title. The Monday of the Community Involvement Training Conference, the feature will be Oceans 11. For more information, please visit: http://www.crystalcity.org/item/crystal-screen-by-the-numbers1
Monuments by Moonlight Tour
July 20: 6:30pm
Enjoy the sights and sounds of this truly magnificent city as you board a trolley with professional tour guides for entertaining anecdotes and historical information along with a sprinkling of bewitching ghost stories of the spirits that haunt our nation's capital.
You'll see some of the city's most popular monuments such as the Capitol Building, the White House and the Washington Monument. This 2.5-hour tour makes three stops: the Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Iwo Jima Memorial. The Lincoln Memorial stop also serves the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial and the Korean War Veterans' Memorial allowing you to see these sights in a different light. The cost for this activity is $38 per person.
Note: The trolley will leave from the front of the hotel.
Dinner in Old Town Alexandria
July 20: 5:45 & 6:15pm
Old Town Alexandria is a quaint town known for its historic town houses, art galleries, antique shops, and restaurants (http://visitalexandriava.com/ ). There will be a bus provided to take participants to Old Town where they can choose to shop, enjoy a nice dinner and explore the area. Some items of interest include:
- Enjoying a colonial dinner at Gadsby's Tavern
- Exploring Old Town with an 18th century costumed guide who will tell you ghost stories, legends, and folklore. This is a one-hour, six-block tour for $12. Tour begins at 7:30 pm.
- Getting a glimpse of the monuments aboard a narrated cruise on the Potomac River. The boat leaves from Alexandria and cruises for about 45 minutes to Georgetown. For more information, visit: www.potomacriverboatco.com/monuments-cruise.php
Old Town is about a five-minute drive from the hotel so transportation will not be provided back. Participants should anticipate taking public transportation. Some options for getting back to the hotel include:
- Take the free trolley to the King Street Metro station. Take the Metro to the Crystal City station. From there, the Renaissance Hotel runs a free shuttle until 11pm.
- It is about a 5-minute drive from Old Town to the hotel. Taking a cab would be convenient and between $5-10.
- Take a Metrobus 9A towards Pentagon (schedule found here: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/9a.pdf (7 pp, 384KB, About PDF)) from the intersection of Washington & King St. back to the Potomac Yard stop.
Note: Buses depart for Old Town at 5:45 & 6:15 pm from the front of the hotel.