Sites in Reuse in Hawaii
Del Monte Corp. (Oahu Planation)
The Del Monte Corp. (Oahu Planation) Superfund site, formerly a 6,000-acre pineapple plantation, is located near Kunia Village in Honolulu County, Hawaii. The Del Monte Corporation (Del Monte) grew and processed pineapple on the plantation from about 1946 to November 2006. The company used pesticides to control worms. In April 1977, an accidental 500-gallon pesticide spill occurred next to the Kunia drinking water supply well. The spill led to the discovery that years of pesticide storage and processing had contaminated site soil and ground water. EPA added the site to the National Priorities List (NPL) in 1994. Del Monte continued operation of the Oahu Plantation until November 2006. EPA’s 2003 cleanup plan for the site called for the treatment of soil and ground water contamination. Del Monte began treating ground water in 2004 and continues to operate all cleanup systems. Del Monte leased the site from the James Campbell Company, the property owners, until the Oahu Plantation ceased operation in 2006. After the plantation closed, the James Campbell Company sold more than half of the land to Kunia Loa Ridge Farmlands, an organization that encourages affordable small-scale sustainable farms while reducing soil erosion and improving the quality and quantity of local water. The Kunia Loa Ridge Farmlands resells small plots to farmers who will grow tropical fruits and raise livestock. EPA delisted the 3,000-acre Puamoho portion of the site in 2004 and this area houses additional reuse activities. Oils of Aloha moved its headquarters and manufacturing operations to a pre-existing 10,000-square-foot facility at the site in 2011. The company employs 20 people and manufactures lotions and beauty products. In 2007, an agricultural company purchased 2,300 acres of the former Oahu Plantation to produce seed corn. The U.S. Army also purchased a portion of the site property to expand housing for Schofield Barracks.
For more information: