Round 2-4d: Clarifying NPL Sites
Listing a property on the NPL may affect the value of that property and the surrounding area -- whether or not the entire area is contaminated. To facilitate the transfer, development, or redevelopment of uncontaminated property, EPA has developed a program that allows Regions to clarify which areas of a property are not contaminated.
To assist Regions with initiating partial deletions of sites on the NPL, EPA developed guidance and tools that identify, map, and track uncontaminated portions of sites.
Implementation of this reform is complete.
The Agency incorporated into the program lessons learned from this reform through the issuance of Procedures for Partial Deletion at NPL Sites on April 30, 1996.
EPA included a similar reform in Reform 3-9, Delete Clean Parcels from the NPL, to encourage Regions to use partial deletions.
EPA convened a workgroup in May 1995, and the workgroup recommended a policy change to allow partial deletions. As a result, EPA announced a policy change to allow partial deletions based on geography or medium, and published the policy in the Federal Register on November 1, 1995. EPA then published a guidance describing the procedures for partial deletions in April 1996 (see Documents below).
As of September 1999, clean parcels were deleted at 16 NPL sites (listed below), and notices of intent to delete clean parcels were issued at two other sites.
The links provided below point to Regional NPL Fact Sheets. You may also want to check the OSRTI partial deletions page for the most current list of partial deletions, with links to NPL site narratives and Federal Register notices.
Sites with partial deletions:
- American Cyanamid Co., Bound Brook, NJ
- Bypass 601 Ground Water Contamination, Concord, NC
- Celanese Corp. (Shelby Fiber Operations), Shelby, NC
- Commencement Bay, Nearshore/Tideflats, Pierce County, WA
- General Electric Co./Shepherd Farm, East Flat Rock, NC
- Geneva Industries/Fuhrman Energy, Houston, TX
- Hanford 100-Area (USDOE), Benton County, WA
- Harbor Island (Lead), Seattle, WA
- Koppers Co., Inc. (Morrisville Plant), Morrisville, NC
- Lakewood Site, Lakewood, WA
- Para-Chem Southern, Inc., Simpsonville, SC
- Prewitt Abandoned Refinery, Prewitt, NM
- Saegertown Industrial Area, Saegertown, PA
- Sangamo Weston/Twelve-Mile/Hartwell PCB, Pickens, SC
- South Andover Site, Andover, MN
- Treasure Island Naval Station, San Francisco, CA
- Rocky Mountain Arsenal (USARMY), Adams County, CO
- RSR Corporation, Dallas, TX
Title: Notice of Policy Change: Partial Deletion of Sites Listed on the National Priorities List
Date: November 1, 1995
Document #: 60 FR 55466
Synopsis: This policy authorizes EPA to delete clean parcels from the NPL.
Title: Procedures for Partial Deletions at NPL Sites
Date: April 30, 1996
Document #: EPA 540-R-96-014, OSWER 9320.2-11, NTIS PB96-963222
Synopsis: This guidance defines the requirements for partial deletions at NPL sites.