Jump to main content.


NPL Site Narrative for Scovill Industrial Landfill

SCOVILL INDUSTRIAL LANDFILL
Waterbury, Connecticut

Federal Register Notice:  July 27, 2000 (PDF) (9 pp, 275K, About PDF)

Conditions at Proposal (May 11, 2000): The Scovill Industrial Landfill is located north of Meriden Road in Waterbury, New Haven County, Connecticut. According to the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, the Scovill Manufacturing Company used this area as a landfill from 1919 to the mid-1970s for disposal of ash, cinders, demolition debris, and other wastes generated by the facility. Before 1919, this area was part of a 30-acre parcel owned by Daniel J. McCarthy and consisted of undeveloped woodlands and wetland areas, with Carrington Brook flowing through the site from north to south. The parcel of land was sold to the Scovill Manufacturing Company on June 25, 1919.

The landfilling operations began along Meriden Road and slowly moved northward. Around 1941, when landfilling was complete along the southeast portion of the site, the company began subdividing and selling parcels of the site for development. As the wetlands and stream valley were filled, additional parcels were subdivided and sold to developers. Most of this development occurred over a 20-year period beginning in the mid-1950s and ending in the mid-1970s. By the mid-1990s, 12 acres of the 19-acre area had been developed into residential and commercial properties. The buildings currently on the site are two- and three-story residential structures and small commercial buildings, including a landscaping firm, adult daycare facility, social club, department store, cab service, medical office, car repair shop, and a shopping plaza.

The northern portion of the site is an undeveloped 6.8-acre parcel, referred to as the Calabrese parcel. This parcel was in the initial stages of development for a proposed elderly housing complex when industrial wastes were encountered during the excavation of soil for the concrete footings. The construction project was ordered to stop until the extent and degree of contamination was identified. EPA conducted sampling on April 26, 1999 through April 28, 1999 and collected soil samples from the site and surrounding area. Soil samples showed elevated levels of organic chemicals such as acenaphthene, flourene, anthracene, and chrysene; metals such as cadmium, nickel, silver, and zinc; and PCBs. The Calabrese parcel has since been fenced and posted, along with a temporary cap placed over the disturbed areas.

Status (July 2000): EPA is considering various alternatives for this site.

For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at ATSDR - ToxFAQs (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp) or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.

Top of page

OSWER Home | Superfund Home | Innovative Technologies Home


Local Navigation


Jump to main content.