NPL Site Narrative for Broad Brook Mill
BROAD BROOK MILL
East Windsor, Connecticut
The Broad Brook Mill site is located in the Broad Brook section of East Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut. This site has previously been identified as the Millbrook Condominiums site. The property encompassed by the Broad Brook Mill site includes two separate lots, identified as Block 37, Lots 8 and 8A on East Windsor's Tax Assessor Map 22. This property is utilized for both commercial and residential purposes. Lot 8 (8.67 acres) is occupied by a residential condominium building (21 units), two garage units, and a former boiler house. Lot 8A (1.93 acres) is occupied by a commercial complex, and a two-story brick office building.
The Broad Brook Mill site is bound to the north and west by Broad Brook; to the east by Main Street; and to the south by Mill Street. Brookside Drive bisects Lot 8. Broad Brook flows west along the northern portion and south along the western portion of the property, respectively. The central area of the property is overgrown with wooded vegetation. The eastern portion of the property, along Main Street, slopes west and is covered by areas of bituminous pavement and grass. The western portion of the property is level. The southern portion of the property slopes toward Mill Street and is covered with wooded vegetation.
Prior to 1835, the property was developed as a grist mill, saw mill, and a tannery. Between 1835 and 1954, a woolen mill operated on the property. When the wool manufacturing complex was operational, the primary processes that were housed in on-site buildings included picking, carding, spinning, dressing, weaving, scouring, carbonizing, napping, shearing, and dyeing. Other buildings were utilized as a machine shop, a coal gas manufacturing plant, and for warehouse space.
United Technologies Corporation, Hamilton Standard Division (Hamilton), a company that manufactured printed circuit boards, operated on the property from 1954 to 1967. Processes conducted by Hamilton, and associated with printed circuit board facility operations, included coil winding to produce low-voltage transformers; electroplating; chemical etching; photographic development; potting; soldering; assembly; and testing. Additionally, former buildings were used for the following: operation of a machine shop to produce small parts needed in the manufacturing process; a parts cleaner station, which utilized chlorinated solvents; a wastewater treatment plant to treat electroplating water; a paint spray booth to paint assemblies; a boiler house to provide steam and heat in the facility structures, and a water treatment plant to provide quality water for manufacturing processes.
From 1968 to approximately 1974, Hamilton utilized the former mill buildings for the storage of surplus material. From 1968 to 1977, a boron filament manufacturing operation was conducted on the property. Though started by Hamilton, this operation was continued by Composite Materials, Inc. from 1974 to 1977. In 1977, Hamilton sold the property and associated mill buildings to Broad Brook Center, Inc., James R. Testa, John Bartus, and Broad Brook Center Associates (collectively referred to here as BBCI). Hamilton leased space for warehousing in a portion of the buildings until 1981. In 1984, AVCO Corporation, formerly Composite Materials, Inc., shipped hazardous waste containing methyl ethyl ketone, paint liquids, flammable liquids, sodium hydroxide, freon, mercury, waste oil, and activated carbon off site. An off-site location was not identified in available file information. BBCI leased building space to commercial and industrial entities until 1986. In January 1986, BBCI sold the property to Connecticut Building Corporation. In May 1986, a fire destroyed many of the mill buildings. In July 1986, Connecticut Building Corporation applied for a permit to develop 21 residential condominium units in the former mill building that had survived the fire. In 1989, the commercial complex on Lot 8A was developed from former mill buildings that had also survived the fire. Between 1990 and 1993, the residential condominiums were developed on Lot 8.
Extensive surface and subsurface investigations have been performed on the Broad Brook Mill site. In August 1993, Heynen Teale Engineers collected soil gas, soil, and ground water samples. In October 1994, Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (CTDEP) collected soil samples from 13 locations on the site. In October 1995, EMG collected soil and ground water samples. From December 1996 to October 1998, Hamilton contracted Loureiro Engineering Associates, Inc. (LEA) to collect soil gas, soil, sediment, and ground water samples from the Broad Brook Mill site. EPA initiated a Removal Site Investigation in December 1999, which is currently ongoing. The investigation included soil sampling, soil gas sampling, and an evaluation of indoor air.
For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at ATSDR - ToxFAQs (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp) or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.