NPL Site Narrative for Mill Creek Dump
MILL CREEK DUMP
Federal Register Notice: September 21, 1984
Conditions at listing (September 1983): The Mill Creek Dump operated on a 60-acre site in Erie, Pennsylvania, from 1941 through 1981, when it was closed by the State because of illegal dumping activities. Reportedly, 1,000 to 2,000 drums containing degreasers, foundry sands, furnace slag, oils, and solvents are buried on the site. One portion of the site was once a 43-acre swamp that has been filled with foundry sands and slag, which cover much of the area. The site is located in a commercial and residential area immediately east of the Erie Airport. About 10,000 people live within 0.3 mile of the site, which is unfenced.
Investigations conducted by EPA, the State, and the County Health Department have detected contaminants, including heavy metals, solvents, and polynuclear hydrocarbons, in ground water, soil, and Marshalls Run, a stream that is adjacent to the site and flows into Lake Erie. Two municipal wells about 0.3 mile upgradient of the site are not contaminated as yet.
Status (June 1984): Late in 1983, EPA used $50,000 in CERCLA emergency funds to remove and dispose of about 100 surface drums.
EPA has prepared a work plan for a remedial investigation/feasibility study to determine the type and extent of contamination at the site and identify alternatives for remedial action.
EPA is completing the initial phases of the remedial investigation. Well drilling and environmental sampling are scheduled for mid-June 1984.
For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at ATSDR - ToxFAQs (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp) or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.