NPL Site Narrative for Yaworski Waste Lagoon
YAWORSKI WASTE LAGOON
Federal Register Notice: September 08, 1983
Conditions at listing (December 1982): The Yaworski Waste Lagoon occupies 340 acres in the Town of Canterbury, Connecticut. The lagoon, which is surrounded by a 6- to 9-foot dike, measures 700 feet by 400 feet and is 12 feet deep. The site is bordered on three sides by the Quinnibaug River. The lagoon is from 20 to 45 feet from the Quinnibaug. From about 1948 to 1973, drummed material and bulk wastes (including textile dyes, solvents, resins, acids, caustics, still bottoms, and solvent-soaked rags) were accepted. Periodically, wastes were burned to reduce the volume in the lagoon. In August 1973, the State issued an order to close the lagoon due to organic odors. In May 1980, EPA detected methyl ethyl ketone, ethyl benzene, toluene, and xylene in the lagoon. The State then ordered the owner to study the site.
Status (July 1983): The owner is implementing a site closure plan, which the State approved. As of May 31, 1983, approximately 90 percent of the lagoon had been filled in. When the filling is complete, the lagoon will be capped with clean dirt.
EPA is preparing a Remedial Action Master Plan outlining the investigations needed to determine the full extent of cleanup required at the site. It is scheduled to be completed in the third quarter of 1983.
For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at ATSDR - ToxFAQs (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp) or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.