NPL Site Narrative for Auburn Road Landfill
AUBURN ROAD LANDFILL
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Federal Register Notice: September 08, 1983
Conditions at listing (December 1982): The Auburn Road Landfill covers 200 acres in Londonderry, New Hampshire. The site is bordered on three sides by residences and is drained by two unnamed streams that flow into the Cohas Brook, which in turn empties into the Merrimack River. From about 1950 until 1964, the town used 1 acre for disposal. Then it applied for and received State approval to receive municipal wastes. By 1968, the landfill reached its approved capacity and expanded into another site nearby. In 1970, the State found evidence that garbage from out-of-State was being received, as well as industrial wastes.
In 1974, the State approved a new 5-acre site with several modifications and conditions. In March 1979, the town sold the landfill to an individual who operated it as a private disposal site. The State soon identified hazardous wastes in the landfill and toxic organic chemicals in surface water and ground water in and around the site. In 1980, the owner stopped operation, after the State ordered the town to close the site. In 1981-1982, EPA conducted a hydrogeologic investigation of the site.
Status (July 1983): The owner in 1979-1980, Grassy Knowles Associates, and the Town of Londonderry, in response to a State order, have contracted to do the field investigations necessary to plan remedial action.
For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at ATSDR - ToxFAQs (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp) or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.