NPL Site Narrative for International Minerals & Chemical Corp. (Terre Haute East Plant)
INTERNATIONAL MINERALS & CHEMICAL CORP. (TERRE HAUTE EAST PLANT)
Terre Haute, Indiana
Federal Register Notice: June 10, 1986
Conditions at proposal (October 15, 1984): The International Minerals & Chemicals Corp. (IMC) Site covers 20 acres in Terre Haute, Virgo County, Indiana. Commercial Solvents Corp. manufactured the insecticide BHC (benzene hexachloride) at the site, known as the Terre Haute East Plant, from 1946 to 1954. IMC purchased Commercial Solvents in 1975. In 1980, IMC excavated 14,392 cubic yards of contaminated soil, piping, vegetation, and debris from the former BHC production area. Soil contaminated with BHC was also excavated at a former off-site disposal area. The excavated material was combined and deposited as a mound on 1.2 acres of East Plant property. The mound was capped with clay and fill.
Ground water at the site is contaminated with BHC isomers, according to analyses conducted by the State and EPA. The public water system supplying 63,000 residents of Terre Haute uses wells within 3 miles of the site.
Status (June 10, 1986): EPA is considering various alternatives for the site.
Status (February 11, 1991): This site is being deleted from the NPL because EPA, in consultation with the State of Indiana, has determined that all appropriate Superfund-financed response under CERCLA has been implemented, and that no further response by responsible parties is appropriate.
For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at ATSDR - ToxFAQs (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp) or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.