Lean Manufacturing and Environment
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has a number of informative publications for those who wish to gain a deeper understanding of lean and how it relates to the environment.
- Lean Manufacturing and the Environment (PDF) (68 pp, 524K, October 2003; EPA Publication #100-R-03-005). A collaborative effort between EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER) and Office of Policy (OP).
- Lean Manufacturing and the Environment: Ignoring the 8th Deadly Waste Leaves Money on the Table (PDF) (6 pp, 125K) Reprinted from Target magazine with permission of the Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME)
- Resource Guide to Effective Utility Management and Lean (PDF) (106 pp, 2.8MB). A collaborative effort of the EPA Office of Water and Office of Policy. This guide shows water-sector utilities how Effective Utility Management and Lean can be combined to reduce wastes throughout operations while improving utility products and services.
- Lean Environmental Benefits and Shortcomings
- Pursuing Perfection: Case Studies Examining Lean Manufacturing Strategies, Pollution Prevention, and Environmental Regulatory Management Implications (PDF) (49 pp, 227K, August 2000). Profiling specific case studies in Lean and the environment.
- Lean Government Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 392K)
- The Lean in Air Permitting Guide: A Supplement to the Lean in Government Starter Kit is designed to help air program managers at public agencies better understand the potential value and results that can be achieved by applying Lean improvement methods to air permitting processes.
- Working Smart for Environmental Protection: Improving State Agency Processes With Lean and Six Sigma (PDF) (55 pp, 740K, March 2008; EPA Publications #100-R-08-007). Learn about the implementation experiences and results of five States that have used Lean, Six Sigma, and similar business process improvement methods to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of agency processes.
- Washington Lean and Environment Project Final Report (PDF) (29 pp)
- Woodfold Manufacturing Case Study (PDF) (2 pp)