Training, Research, and Technical Assistance Reports
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The American Planning Association (APA) was awarded a Training, Research, and Technical Assistance grant in 2007. APA's Planning and Community Health Research Center recently published Creating Community-Based Brownfield Redevelopment Strategies, a guide to help community-based organizations participate more effectively in the complicated process of brownfield cleanup and redevelopment. By explaining how different development strategies will benefit their communities, this guide will activate and empower local organizations to have a significant impact on brownfield redevelopment planning. The guide is available as a free PDF download from APA's website .
Verifying the Social, Environmental, and Economic Promise of Brownfield Programs (PDF) (104 pp, 2.4M)
Researchers from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte assembled and analyzed data aimed at identifying variables needed to measure economic, environmental, and social benefits of brownfield redevelopment, and the effect of those variables. This June 2009 report provides a guide to the data, methodology, and results.
- Market Barriers to Green Development: EPA Region 5, the Delta Institute and the Northeast-Midwest Institute released a report on market based approaches to increase green redevelopment projects. The report is available at the Delta Institute (PDF) (59 pp, 1.6M) , or the Northeast-Midwest Institute's websites.
The report describes six principles for removing market barriers to green development, and recommends action projects and next steps to address these barriers and further promote green development practices. Throughout the report, case studies illustrate how different organizations or communities have tackled these barriers. Three supplemental documents are also available on the websites:
- Identifying the Market Barriers to Green Development (PDF) (18 pp, 107K), a summary of the May 2007 workshop
- Fostering Green Development Practices - Roles of the Public Sector (PDF) (9 pp, 391K)
- Using Incentives to Promote Green Building Practices (PDF) (7 pp, 185K)
For more information, contact EPA Region 5's Chris Choi (email@example.com) at 312-353-5006, or Jim Van der Kloot (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 312-353-3161.
Brownfields Redevelopment Toolbox for Disadvantaged Communities (PDF) (37 pp, 387K)
- Community Development Organizations and Brownfields (PDF) (30 pp, 318K)