Biofuels Compendium - Biodiesel - Equipment Compatibility
These resources provide information regarding underground storage tank (UST) system compatibility with biodiesel-blended fuels. For other biodiesel topics, please visit the biofuels compendium biodiesel page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Alternative Fuels Equipment Compatibility Guide
This online database, developed by the Petroleum Equipment Institute, contains information on equipment compatibility with ethanol- and biodiesel-blended fuels. Listings include product specifications and links to manufacturers.
- Biodiesel Handling and Use Guide (PDF) (56 pp, 1.7MB, About PDF)
This comprehensive guide, developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, presents detailed information on health and safety, handling, equipment compatibility, conversion of tanks, and other topics related to biodiesel.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Section 2.3.1 covers compatibility concerns with biodiesel.
- Brief Overview to Fuels and Materials Compatibility (PDF) (81 pp, 1.9MB, About PDF)
This presentation, from the 2007 National Tanks Conference, provides extensive information on UST system compatibility with petroleum, biodiesel, and ethanol.
- California Biodiesel Multimedia Evaluation – Final Tier I Report (PDF) (98 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF)
This multimedia assessment provides the state of California with the information needed to allow informed decisions in the impact of biodiesel. Section 3.1 in Chapter 3 covers equipment compatibility with biodiesel.
- Clarification of Regulations Applying to Biodiesel-E Stored in Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (3 pp, 44K, About PDF)
Prepared by the California State Water Resources Control Board, this memorandum clarifies state regulations pertaining to storing biodiesel in USTs.
- EPA’s June 2011 Guidance For UST Owners And Operators Storing Higher Biofuel Blends
This guidance provides options for underground storage tank owners and operators to use in complying with the federal compatibility requirement for UST systems storing gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol or diesel containing greater than 20 percent biodiesel.
- Fact Sheet: Biodiesel and Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (2 pp, 101K, About PDF)
This fact sheet, developed by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, provides information on biodiesel and its potential incompatibility with standard UST systems. Steps to be taken prior to conversion of tanks for biodiesel use are outlined.
- FAQs on the Storage, Handling and Sale of B2
This Web page, developed by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, presents information on Minnesota's requirement that diesel fuel sold in Minnesota contain at least 2 percent biodiesel.
- Guidance on Blends Above B20 (PDF) (3 pp, 101K, About PDF)
This white paper, produced by the National Biodiesel Board, presents information on cleaning effects, ASTM standard concerns, materials compatibility, cold flow properties, and other issues relating to biodiesel blends greater than 20 percent.
- Leak-Detection Equipment and Alternative Fuels (PDF) (28 pp, 662K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for UST stakeholders, presents information on alternative fuel compatibility with leak detection equipment. (See page 26)
- Materials Compatibility (PDF) (4 pp, 156K, About PDF)
This fact sheet, prepared by the National Biodiesel Board, provides guidance on UST system compatibility with biodiesel blends and includes several tables of material compatibility ratings.
- STI/SPFA Announces the Release of a Final Report for Testing for Compatibility of Steel with Biodiesel (PDF) (2 pp, 16K, About PDF)
This press release, prepared by the Steel Tank Institute and Steel Plate Fabricators Association (STI/SPFA), announces the publication of a report on testing of steel UST compatibility with biodiesel.
- The USTs and LUSTs of Biodiesel (PDF) (28 pp, 662K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for UST stakeholders, presents information on the chemical properties, toxicity, emissions, biodegradation, materials compatibility, regulations, and production of biodiesel. (See pages 11-16 and 27)