Biofuels Compendium - Biodiesel - Handling
These resources provide information on handling of biodiesel-blended fuels. For other biodiesel topics, please visit the biofuels compendium biodiesel page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Biodiesel Blends for Fueling Diesel Engines (PDF) (2 pp, 130K, About PDF)
Published by University of Missouri Extension in the MU Guide, this article provides an overview of biodiesel, in addition to information on production, storage, and safety.
- Biodiesel Handling and Use Guide (PDF) (56 pp, 1.7MB, About PDF)
This comprehensive guide, developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, presents detailed information on health and safety, handling, equipment compatibility, conversion of tanks, and other topics related to biodiesel.
- Biodiesel Material Safety Data Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 43K, About PDF)
This Material Safety Data Sheet, prepared by the National Biodiesel Board, presents detailed information on storing, handling, safety, and regulatory status of biodiesel.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Sections 2.1 and 2.2 cover the handling of biodiesel with an emphasis on places along the biodiesel supply chain where releases could occur. Section 2.3 covers release prevention recommendations for biodiesel.
- California Biodiesel Multimedia Evaluation – Final Tier I Report (PDF) (98 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF)
This multimedia assessment provides the state of California with the information needed to allow informed decisions in the impact of biodiesel. Sections 3.2 through 3.4 in Chapter 3 cover the handling of biodiesel.
- Clean Air Program: Summary Assessment of the Safety, Health, Environmental and System Risks of Alternative Fuel (PDF) (145 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF)
Prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation, this report presents the results of studies on the environmental, human health, and safety impacts of the use of alternative fuels including ethanol, biodiesel, methanol, propane, and others.
- Fuel Quality and Performance Guide (PDF) (20 pp, 463K, About PDF)
Created by the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association, this guide provides detailed advice on buying, storing, and handling biodiesel. It includes ASTM specifications, a list of additional resources, and a troubleshooting checklist.
- Keeping Water Out of Your Storage System (PDF) (13 pp, 192K, About PDF)
Prepared by the Steel Tank Institute, this resource discusses ways in which water can enter an underground storage tank (UST) system, economic impacts of water intrusion, and methods for the protection of UST systems against water intrusion. Microbial contamination and other issues related to storing ethanol and biodiesel blends are discussed.