Biofuels Compendium - Ethanol - Equipment Compatibility
These resources provide information regarding underground storage tank (UST) system compatibility with ethanol-blended fuels. For other ethanol topics, please visit the biofuels compendium ethanol page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Advisory to Underground Storage Tank Owners/Operators Regarding Ethanol-Blend Fuel Compatibility
This advisory from the California State Water Resources Control Board to California UST stakeholders recommends all owners and operators review UST system compatibility with ethanol and provides a list of specific components of concern.
- Alternative Fuel Storage Guidelines for UST Systems (PDF) (2 pp, 117K, About PDF)
Prepared by the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, this brochure provides UST stakeholders with information on materials compatibility, regulatory status, and conversion of tanks for storing ethanol and biodiesel.
- Alternative Fuels Equipment Compatibility Guide
This online database, developed by the Petroleum Equipment Institute, contains information on equipment compatibility with ethanol- and biodiesel-blended fuels. Listings include product specifications and links to manufacturers.
- Alternative Fuels Storage Information and Links
Prepared by the Steel Tank Institute, this Web page provides links to alternative fuels storage resources from federal, state, and nongovernmental agencies.
- Analysis of Underground Storage Tank System Materials to Increased Leak Potential Associated with E15 Fuel (PDF) (48 pp, 1.3MB, About PDF) Published by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), this report covers whether or not increased leak potential will result from the transition to E15 fuels in UST systems based on compatibility studies of metals, plastics, fiberglass resins, elastomers, and pipe thread sealants.
- APEA Guidance on Storage and Dispensing of High Blend Ethanol Fuels including E85 at Filling Stations (PDF) (15 pp, 131K, About PDF)
This guide, developed by the Association for Petroleum and Explosives Administration (APEA), presents comprehensive information on ethanol standards, equipment compatibility and conversion, and handling and safety. Some guidance presented specifically pertains to United Kingdom and European Union stakeholders.
- Approved Systems for Ethanol Blended Motor Fuel Storage and Dispensing (Policy Memorandum)(PDF) (2 pp, 31K, About PDF)
This memorandum from the Wisconsin Department of Commerce defines Wisconsin's policy on equipment compatibility with ethanol blends.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Section 2.3.1 covers compatibility concerns with ethanol.
- Compatibility and Permeability of Oxygenated Fuels to Materials in Underground Storage and Dispensing Equipment (PDF) (80 pp, 310K, About PDF)
This report, prepared for the California State Water Resources Control Board, presents information on the compatibility and permeability of oxygenated fuels to UST equipment.
- Converting Existing Underground Storage Tank (UST) Systems to Ethanol Compatible (PDF) (5 pp, 134K, About PDF)
Prepared by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, this fact sheet provides guidance on equipment compatibility and conversion of USTs for storing ethanol.
- E85 Compatible Equipment List (PDF) (3 pp, 22K, About PDF)
This listing of E85-compatible UST components, developed by the Steel Tank Institute, includes product models, brands, manufacturers, and links to additional information.
- E85 Equipment and Processes
Developed by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy as part of the E85 Fleet Toolkit, this Web page includes information and links to resources pertaining to E85 compatibility with dispensing equipment.
- E85 Fuel Ethanol: Industry Guidelines, Specifications, and Procedures (PDF) (26 pp, 236K, About PDF)
This guide, developed by the Renewable Fuels Association, presents comprehensive information on ethanol standards, equipment compatibility and conversion, handling and safety, quality assurance, and tax incentives. (See page 21)
- EPA’s June 2011 Guidance For UST Owners And Operators Storing Higher Biofuel Blends
This guidance provides options for underground storage tank owners and operators to use in complying with the federal compatibility requirement for UST systems storing gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol or diesel containing greater than 20 percent biodiesel.
- Ethanol and USTs
This white paper, prepared by the Fiberglass Tank & Pipe Institute, presents information on ethanol storage in fiberglass tanks, including a discussion about storing ethanol in older tanks.
- Ethanol Motor Fuel Storage Overview (PDF) (4 pp, 43K, About PDF)
This fact sheet, developed by the Wisconsin Department of Commerce, provides guidance on equipment compatibility and conversion of USTs for storing ethanol.
- Fuel Ethanol and Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (2 pp, 57K, About PDF)
Developed by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, this fact sheet presents guidance on equipment compatibility and the conversion of USTs for storing ethanol.
- Handbook for Handling, Storing, and Dispensing E85 (PDF) (31 pp, 2.1MB, About PDF)
Developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, this handbook provides extensive information on standards, storage, health and safety, and other topics relating to E85. (See page 12)
- Health, Environmental, and Economic Impacts of Adding Ethanol to Gasoline in the Northeast States, Volume 1: Summary and Recommendations (PDF) (26 pp, 393K, About PDF)
This first volume of a report prepared by the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission presents an analysis of the environmental, health, economic, and regulatory impacts associated with the use of ethanol as a gasoline oxygenate in the Northeast states. Analysis and recommendations are presented. (See page 14)
- Historical Timeline for Storage Tank Ethanol Compatibility (PDF) (1 pg, 20K, About PDF)
The Wisconsin Department of Commerce's Bureau of Storage Tank Regulation created this diagram, which outlines dates of historical import relating to ethanol storage tank compatibility.
- Information on E85 for Authorities Having Jurisdiction
This Web page, created by Underwriters Laboratories, provides information on E85 dispenser certification and links to resources for E85 stakeholders.
- Intermediate Ethanol Blends Infrastructure Materials Compatibility Study (PDF) (109 pp, 2.9MB, About PDF)
Published by the ORNL, this report covers the compatibility of elastomers, metals, and sealants with intermediate ethanol blends.
- Iowa DNR: Renewable Fuels (PDF) (41 pp, 2.8MB, About PDF)
This presentation, from the 2007 National Tanks Conference, provides extensive information on UST system compatibility with petroleum, biodiesel, and ethanol.
- Is Your UST System Ethanol-Compatible? (PDF) (32 pp, 524K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for UST stakeholders, presents information on ethanol compatibility with UST system components and provides links to additional resources. (See pages 7-9)
- Leak-Detection Equipment and Alternative Fuels (PDF) (28 pp, 662K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for UST stakeholders, presents information on alternative fuel compatibility with leak detection equipment. (See page 26)
- Letter to Licensed Installers re: Checklist for Storing and Dispensing E-blend Fuels and New UL 971 Standards (PDF) (2 pp, 104K, About PDF)
Prepared by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, this letter presents guidance for Iowa licensed installers of UST equipment on new requirements for evaluating systems for ethanol blend compatibility.
- Matrix of Pipe Monitoring Applications
The California Environmental Protection Agency State Water Resources Control Board prepared this Web page to provide guidance on the regulation of piping standards in UST systems.
- National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition (PDF) (5 pp, 72K, About PDF)
This is a listing of E85-compatible tank equipment and manufacturers, prepared by the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition.
- Preparing Your Dispensing System for Ethanol Blended Motor Fuel (PDF) (2 pp, 141K, About PDF)
Developed by the Wisconsin Department of Commerce, this brochure provides guidance on equipment compatibility and the conversion of USTs for storing ethanol.
- So What About Those E10 and E85 Fuels? (PDF) (32 pp, 524K, About PDF)
This article in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for UST stakeholders, provides information on the history of ethanol use, the properties of ethanol, and its compatibility with UST system components.
- STI/SPFA Web Site Certification Statement (PDF) (1 pg, 35K, About PDF)
This statement, prepared by the Steel Tank Institute, affirms that STI-certified steel tanks are compatible with ethanol-blended fuels.
- Ten Things Missouri Tank Owners And Operators Need To Know About Ethanol (2 pp, 246K, About PDF)
Adapted from a Renewable Fuels Association publication by the Missouri Petroleum Storage Tank Insurance Fund, this fact sheet contains information on storing ethanol blends in USTs and includes a store operator checklist.
- Underground Storage Tank Systems and Ethanol Compatibility (PDF) (3 pp, 24K, About PDF)
Developed by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, this fact sheet provides guidance on equipment compatibility and the conversion of USTs for storing ethanol.
- Underwriters Laboratories Ethanol Dispenser Safety Testing
This Web page, developed by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office Of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, provides current information on the status of Underwriters Laboratories' certification of E85 dispensing equipment.