Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program
TRI Basic Data Files
Each TRI Basic Data File contains approximately 100 data fields. Many of the descriptions refer to the TRI Form R and Form A Certification Statement. These are the forms that facilities use to submit data to the TRI Program. The TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions, revised 2010 version (213pp, About PDF) document contains the actual forms and instructions for completing them, as well as complete lists of values for the data fields.
The general types of data in TRI Basic data files include the following:
- Facility Name, Address, Latitude & Longitude Coordinates, and SIC or NAICS codes
- Chemical Identification and Classification Information
- On-site Release Quantities
- Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) Transfer Quantities
- Off-site Transfer Quantities for Release/Disposal and Further Waste Management
- Summary Pollution Prevention Quantities (Section 8 of the Form R)
Quantities of dioxin and dioxin-like compounds are reported in grams; all other chemicals are reported in pounds.
The data contained in the files are Comma delimited .csv format and loads easily into many spreadsheets and database software applications. See the TRI Basic Data File Documentation (16pp, About PDF ) for detailed descriptions of the 100 data fields contained in these files.