The AQS application is designed for personnel who provide data from their federal, state, local, or tribal agency to the EPA and for those using that data to perform analysis of that data. Oracle Discoverer is an ad hoc query tool set up to work with the AQS database. The AQS database is not directly accessible by the public via either the AQS application or Discoverer, however the data is available via the link to "Obtaining AQS Data" in the sidebar and other web areas such as AIRData and AIRNOW.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
Before using the AQS application or Discoverer with AQS, users must register with the EPA. Users responsible for inserting, updating and deleting data in the AQS database must be granted specific rights. Those wishing to retrieve data directly from the AQS database must also register with the EPA.
Steps to register:
- Registrants: Complete the User Section of the Air Quality System - User Registration form (pdf, 1p, 359K). (Registrants may also complete fields in other sections if those values are known.) The form may be completed online and then printed, or printed and completed by hand. In either case, it must be printed and signed at the User Signature before sending it to the next contact.
- Registrants: Read the AQS User Security Guidelines (pdf, 3pp, 500K). Print and sign the signature page included in that document.
- Registrants: Mail or FAX both pages (the completed registration form and the Security signature page) to the recognized AQS contact within the user's agency.
- Agency AQS Contact: Complete the Agency Section, sign and date the form. If the agency needs State or Tribal approval, mail or FAX both pages to the appropriate state/tribe. If Tribal approval is not needed, mail or FAX both sheets to EPA, NADG (919) 541-7674 or via email to EPACallCenter@epa.gov.
- State/Tribe AQS Contact: If this section is required, sign and date the registration form. Mail or FAX both sheets to EPA, NADG (919) 541-7674 or via email to EPACallCenter@epa.gov.
- EPA, NADG: Will contact the EPA Regional AQS Contact to validate and process the request.
EPA staff and contractors not working under an EPA Region, should complete the registration form and mail or FAX both pages (the completed registration form and the Security page) to EPA, NADG (919) 541-7674. For an explanation of the accounts required, see accountinfo.)
After you register:
Once your AQS account is established, you will receive an email inviting you to attend a New User Orientation on the web. This 2 hour session (usually on the 4th Wednesday of the month) is conducted via WebEx, a web conferencing tool. The email you receive will explain about the session and how to attend. There is also a PowerPoint slide show (pps, 5.3M) AQS New User Promo to introduce new users to AQS and the New User Orientation. (There is sound with this show.)
For another explanation of how to get a userid and how to access AQS for the first time, see these documents from Region 1, Wendy McDougall: How to get an ID.pdf (180K, 3pp) How to access AQS for the first time.pdf (441K, 4pp)