Technology Transfer Network - Air Toxics Web Site
Sewage Sludge Incinerators (SSI)
April 7, 2015 – EPA is proposing a Federal Plan to implement the Emission Guidelines for Sewage Sludge Incinerators adopted on March 21, 2011. The proposed federal plan would apply to states that did not have an approved state plan in place by March 21, 2012. The Federal Plan will ensure that air pollution from these facilities is controlled in states where no state plans exists and contains the same elements that state plans are required to contain, including source and emissions inventories, emission limits, testing, monitoring, and reporting requirements, as well as compliance schedules that include milestones for progress.
The purpose of this page is to provide information regarding EPA's air emission regulations for Sewage Sludge Incinerators (SSI). Information is categorized into four groups as follows: (1) Rule Information, (2) Technical Information, (3) Implementation Information, or (4) Related Web Sites. Descriptions of (and direct links to) these areas are provided below.
Rule Information -- This area contains Federal Register notices for both proposed and promulgated (final) rules. The Federal Register notices summarize the basis of the rules and include the actual regulatory text. In addition, an update on the litigation and links to closely related rules, policies, or program guidance are provided here.
Technical Information -- This area contains technical information used in developing the rules. Background documents are available for download. In addition, fact sheets which summarize the requirements of the rules are available here.
Implementation Information -- This area contains implementation information including guidance for States and, when available, the current status of State Plans. In addition, compliance and enforcement information is provided here.
Related Web Sites -- This area provides links to other web sites where additional information may be found.
Proposed and Promulgated Rules
- A public hearing was held on October 29, 2010, at EPA’s Campus located at 109 T.W. Alexander Drive in Research Triangle Park, NC. A copy of the court report can be found in the Docket# EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0559
- Subpart LLLL of 40 CFR Part 60 - New Source Performance Standards for SSI
- Subpart MMMM of 40 CFR Part 60 - Emission Guidelines for SSI
NOTE: All files are Government Printing Office (GPO) files unless otherwise indicated by *.
- The District Court has denied our motion to extend sec. 112(c)(3) and 112(c)(6) deadline. Final promulgation date: February 21, 2011.
- The District Court has granted our motion to extend sec. 112(c)(3) and 112(c)(6) deadline to January 16, 2011.
- The District Court has granted our motion to extend sec. 112(c)(3) and 112(c)(6) deadline to December. 16, 2010.
Closely Related Rules, Policies or Program Guidance
- Large MWC Units - 40 CFR Part 60 Subparts Eb and Cb - New Source Performance Standards and Emission Guidelines for Large Municipal Waste Combustors
- Small MWC Units - 40 CFR Part 60 Subparts AAAA and BBBB - New Source Performance Standards and Emission Guidelines for Small Municipal Waste Combustion Units
- Medical Waste Incinerators - 40 CFR Part 60 Subparts Ec and Ce - New Source Performance Standards and Emission Guidelines for Hospital/Medical/Infectious Waste Incinerators
- CISWI Units - 40 CFR Part 60 Subparts CCCC and DDDD - New Source Performance Standards and Emission Guidelines for Commercial and Industrial Solid Waste Incinerators
- OSWI Units - 40 CFR Part 60 Subparts EEEE and FFFF - New Source Performance Standards and Emission Guidelines for Other Solid Waste Incinerators
- Hazardous Waste Combustors - 40 CFR Part 63 Subpart EEE - National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants from Hazardous Waste Combustors
- More Information on EPA Combustion Web Site
Background Information Document (BID)/Response to Comments
- All of the materials listed below (as well as other information considered by EPA in developing the SSI regulations) are available in EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0559 for public inspection and copying by calling or visiting EPA's Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center (the Docket Office). A reasonable fee may be charged for copying. The telephone number for the Docket Office is 202-260-7548
- Items below are available for immediate download.
|Date||Description||Item Number in
Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0559
|2/2011||Final: SSI Inventory Map Overlay With Tribal Lands||0153|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Estimation of Baseline Emissions from Existing Sewage Sludge Incineration Units||0154|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Estimation of Baseline Emissions from Existing Sewage Sludge Incineration Units Attachments||0154.1|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Cost and Emission Reduction of the Mact Floor Level of Control||0155|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Cost and Emission Reduction of the Mact Floor Level of Control Supporting Tables 1-10||0155.1-
|1/2011||Final: Post-Proposal SSI Database Revisions and Data Gap Filling Methodology||0156|
|1/2011||Final: Post-Proposal SSI Database Revisions and Data Gap Filling Methodology Attachments||0156.1|
|1/2011||Final: Revised MACT Floor Analysis for SSI||0157|
|1/2011||Final: Revised MACT Floor Analysis for SSI Attachments Tables 1-8||0157.1-
|1/2011||Final: Revised Estimation of Impacts for New Units Constructed within 5-Years After Promulgation||0158|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Estimation of Impacts for New Units Constructed within 5-Years After Promulgation Attachments||0158.1|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Secondary Impacts of Controls||0160|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Analysis of Beyond the Maximum Achievable Control Technology||0161|
|1/2011||Final: Revised Analysis of Beyond the Maximum Achievable Control Technology Attachments||0161.1-
|1/2011||Final: Cost and Benefit Changes Since Proposal Regulatory Impact Analysis||0165|
|1/2011||Final: Supplemental Memo to RIA: Health Incidences SSI||0159|
|1/2011||Final: SSI Summary of Public Comment and Responses||0171|
|2/2011||Final: Non-Hazardous Secondary Materials That are Solid Waste Summary of Public Comment and Responses||EPA-HQ-
|10/14/10||Estimation of Baseline Emissions from Existing Sewage Sludge Incineration Units||0004|
|Baseline Estimation Attachments||0004-1|
|08/2010||Analysis of Beyond the Maximum Achievable Control Technology (MACT)Floor Controls for Existing SSI Units||0009|
|Beyond the Floor Analysis Attachments||0009-1|
|10/14/10||Cost and Emission Reduction of the MACT Floor Level of Control||0008|
|Cost and Emission Reduction Supporting Tables 1-10||0008.1-0008.10||
|10/14/10||Facility, Unit, and Emissions Test Database for the Sewage Sludge Incineration Source Category||0002|
|10/14/10||Development of the Inventory Database for the Sewage Sludge Incinerator Source Category||0003|
|10/14/10||MACT Floor Analysis for the Sewage Sludge Incinerator Source Category||0006|
|MACT Analysis Supporting Tables 1||0006.1-0006.10||
|10/14/10||Estimation of Impacts for New Units Constructed Within Five Years After Promulgation of the SSI NSPS||0005|
|New Units Analysis Attachments||0005-1|
|10/14/10||Secondary Impacts of Control Options for the Sewage Sludge Incineration Source Category||0007|
Source Data Files
Documents related to Federal Plan
|Date||Description (EPA Number)||Item Number in
Docket # EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0559
Compliance and Enforcement Information
Applicability Determination Index (ADI). The ADI is maintained by EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA) and provides a data base of memoranda dealing with applicability issues. The database is searchable by Subpart.
Emissions Measurement Center. The Emission Measurement Center (EMC) provides information on test methods for measuring pollutants from smokestacks and other industrial sources. This site compiles the test methods available for emission measurement, and EMC staff provide technical assistance in the use and application of the methods.
- Test Methods and existing alternate method approvals, such as "Use of Method 29 in place of 101A, 103, and 104 to demonstrate compliance with 40 CFR part 61 subparts C and E (PDF)" (2pp, 148k)
Related Web Sites
Biosolids: This site provides information from EPA's Office of Water as it relates to Biosolids. The includes guidance (e.g., link to EPA Part 503 rule) and other publications.
NOTE: Links identified with this symbol are pointers to other hosts and locations in the Internet. This information is provided as a service; however the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency does not endorse, approve or otherwise support these sites.