Technology Transfer Network Clearinghouse for Inventories & Emissions Factors
Compliance and Emissions Data Reporting Interface (CEDRI)
EPA regulations codified in 40 CFR Part 60 and 63 require affected sources to perform emissions source tests, conduct continuous emissions monitoring, and submit compliance and emissions reports . EPA is promulgating "E-Reporting" rules to require affected sources to electronically submit source test results, emissions monitoring data, compliance reports, and emissions reports to EPA. As a result the EPA has developed the Compliance and Emissions Data Reporting Interface (CEDRI) which is located on EPA's Central Data Exchange (CDX). The CDX Web is the application used by EPA programs and various stakeholders to manage environmental data transmitted to EPA in order to meet EPA's reporting requirements.
The CEDRI program service supports the submittal of three types of reporting:
- Performance Test Reports - Performance Test Reports use the Electronic Reporting Tool (ERT), built in Microsoft Access, to generate files containing emissions source test data. Facilities upload these files to CDX using CEDRI.
- Notification Reports - A Notification Report or Notification of Compliance Status (NCOS) are reports typically submitted by a regulated facility that notifies the designated authority that the facility has achieved compliance with an applicable regulation. (Note: In CEDRI some Notification Reports will be uploaded in PDF form.)
- Air Emissions Reports - Air emissions reports are periodic reports submitted to the delegated authority after the facility achieves initial compliance that demonstrate that the facility has maintained continuous compliance with an applicable regulation over the reporting period (e.g., 6 months).
CEDRI supports submission of multiple reports at one time. CEDRI aggregates the uploaded files and completed forms into a single package for submission. The source then certifies and signs the package using the CDX Cross-Media Electronic Reporting Regulation (CROMERR) service.
CEDRI allows users to set up their profiles with different roles. This allows for multiple people within or outside a facility to work on a given report however only allows certain verified employees of the facility to submit and certify reports. The distinction between the two different roles that a user can request is as follows:
- Preparer: The Preparer is the person responsible for the preparation of reports for signature and subsequent submission by an authorized representative of the facility. Contractors are permitted to register as a Preparer and may assemble submission packages, such as files generated by the ERT, for the Certifier's approval and signature. A Preparer may not sign and submit a submission package. The Preparer may only access packages which they have prepared.
- Certifier: The Certifier is the duly authorized representative of the source or more commonly referred to as the "owner" or "operator" of the facility. The Certifier is authorized to modify the package a Preparer has assembled, and sign and submit the package to CDX. The Certifier may perform all the tasks the Preparer may perform, but also has submission signing authority. Contractors are prohibited from registering as a Certifier.
- Delegated Certifier: The Delegated Certifier is a person granted authority by a registered Certifier to sign and submit packages on behalf of the Certifier. The Delegated Certifier is authorized to modify the package a Preparer has assembled, and sign and submit the package to CDX. The Delegated Certifier may perform all the tasks the Preparer may perform, but also has submission signing authority.
After certifiers finalize the reports and submit them to the EPA, the reports are stored in the CDX CROMERR archive and are available to certifiers, preparers, and authorized EPA, regional, state, local, and tribal reviewers immediately upon submission. Copies of the reports are also subsequently sent to WebFIRE where the reports are available for public access.
What will I need to get started?
In order to use CDX and CEDRI, the following is required:
- An email account
- Java Script enabled web browser
- Internet access
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher
- Java version 6 update 38 or above. Click here to download the latest version.
Prior to downloading the more recent Java version, it is highly recommended that you clear your Java cache. Follow these steps to clear your Java cache:
- Close all open internet browsers.
- Select the 'Start' button.
- Go to 'Control Panel.' Select the 'Java' icon (Java Control Panel will display).
- On the Java Control Panel in the 'Temporary Internet Files' section, select the 'View' button (Java Cache Viewer will display).
- Select 'Resources' in the 'Show' drop down field located at the top of the Java Cache Viewer.
- Select all of the files in the list (Ctrl-A) and click on the red X button located at the top of the Java Cache Viewer to delete the selected files.
- Close the Java Cache Viewer and Java Control Panel.
Please see the following video if you need help creating an account and accessing CEDRI: CEDRI Registration Video
User's Guide and Example Files
EPA has prepared a comprehensive user's guide to help users register for CDX and CEDRI as well as to help users set up organization profiles for their facilities.
Below are files that can be used as templates to upload information into forms in CEDRI. For field constraints see Appendix C in the user's guide.
- CEMS Summary for Part 63 Subpart DDDDD (.xlsx) (12.6 KB)
- CEMS Summary for Part 63 Subpart UUUUU (.xlsx) (12.8 KB)
- CMS Downtime Summary for Part 60 Subparts Da, Db, and Dc (.xlsx) (13.2 KB)
- CMS Downtime Summary for Part 63 Subpart DDDDD (.xlsx) (13.2 KB)
- CMS Downtime Summary for Part 63 Subpart UUUUU (.xlsx) (13.2 KB)
- Deviation Report for Part 63 Subparts DDDDD (.xlsx) (13.7 KB)
- Excess Emissions Summary for Part 60 Subparts Da, Db, and Dc (.xlsx) (9.84 KB)
- Excess Emissions Summary for Part 63 Subpart UUUUU (.xlsx) (9.79 KB)
- Fuel Use Summary for Part 63 Subpart DDDDD (.xlsx) (13.6 KB)
- Fuel Use Summary for Part 63 Subpart UUUUU (.xlsx) (13.6 KB)
- Malfunction Report for Part 60 Subparts Da, Db, and Dc (.xlsx) (12.7 KB)
- Malfunction Report for Part 63 Subpart DDDDD (.xlsx) (12.8 KB)
- Malfunction Report for Part 63 Subpart UUUUU (.xlsx) (12.7 KB)
Frequently Asked Questions and Announcements
Here is a link to the most recent FAQ Document. We are continually adding new FAQs so check back. Latest update is January 31, 2014.
If you do not see your question covered in the FAQ you can email the CEDRI team at CEDRI@epa.gov
Announcements about CEDRI will be made available via the CHIEF Listserv. Notices are sent directly to a member's email address.