Local-Scale Emission Inventory Development
EPA formed a focus group from state and local agencies that are developing local-scale inventories for fine-scale air quality modeling. Participants provided information on the following:
- The type of air quality problem(s) they were addressing with fine-scale air quality modeling.
- Analysis techniques they used to evaluate emissions biases, to identify key sources in their area, and to prioritize emissions inventory improvement work.
- Source categories targeted and methods used to improve the emissions estimates.
- Changes to emissions estimates and modeling results that occurred due to local-scale emissions inventory development efforts.
- Analyses of the EPA's National Air Emissions Inventory (NEI) that would benefit their efforts.
The project concluded in October 2010 and the final report provides the focus groupís recommended actions for state and local agencies that want to develop local-scale emissions inventories. The final report may also be referenced in future versions of EPA guidance on modeling to support State Implementation Plan (SIP) attainment demonstrations, i.e., air quality goals for particulate matter, ozone, and regional haze.
Questions or comments may be directed to Rebecca 'Lee' Tooly.