DIRECT FINAL TECHNICAL AMENDMENTS TO THE AIR TOXICS RULES FOR THE PRINTING AND PUBLISHING INDUSTRY; FABRIC PRINTING, COATING, AND DYEING; AND PAPER AND OTHER WEB COATING
- On May 22, 2006, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) amended the national emission standards for hazardous air pollutants (NESHAP) for the printing and publishing industry. At the same time, we also amended the NESHAP for fabric printing, coating, and dyeing, and the NESHAP for paper and other web coating.
- EPA issued a national rule to limit emissions of toxic air pollutants from printing and publishing facilities in 1996. The paper rule was issued in 2002 and the fabric rule was issue in 2003. These rules are three of 96 rules called maximum achievable control technology (MACT) standards that require 174 industry sectors to eliminate 1.7 million tons of 187 toxic air pollutants. Congress listed these toxic air pollutants in the Clean Air Act.
- Facilities performing rotogravure printing or wide-web flexographic printing are affected by this action.
- EPA is taking direct final action to amend the printing and publishing standards to clarify some sections of the rule and to correct errors. The direct final amendments to the paper rule and the fabric rule maintain consistency between these rules and the printing and publishing rule. We view the amendments to be minor and noncontroversial, and we anticipate no adverse comments.
- The direct final rule amendments will not alter the stringency of the standards and will, therefore, have no health or environmental impacts.
- There are no costs associated with this rule.
- To download the direct final rule amendments from EPA's website, go to "Recent Actions" at the following address: http://www.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/ramain.html.
- Today's action and other background information are also available either electronically through www.regulations.gov, the federal government's docket management system, or in hard copy at EPA's Docket Center (6102T), EPA West, 1301 Constitution Avenue, NW, Room B-102, Washington, DC (Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2004-0441). The Public Reading Room is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The telephone number for the Public Reading Room is (202) 566-1744, and the telephone number for the EPA Docket Center is (202) 566-1742.
- " For further information about the direct final rule amendments, contact: Mr. Dave Salman of EPA's Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, Sector Policies and Programs Division, Coatings and Chemicals Group at (919) 541-0859 or by e-mail at email@example.com . Or visit the Printing and Publishing NESHAP website at http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/print/printpg.html.
- " The EPA's Office of Air and Radiation (OAR) home page on the Internet contains a wide range of information on the air toxics program, as well as many other air pollution programs and issues. The OAR home page address is: http://www.epa.gov/oar.