From simple to extensive, consider some of these rebuy opportunities when available. This is just a short list of possible options to help improve your environmental profile and bottom linethe opportunities are virtually limitless.
- Select plastic lumber made from recycled bottles and bags for benches and other outdoor structures.
- Incorporate rubberized asphalt (made from recycled tires) for parking lots, walking, running, bike, or cart paths.
- Purchase patio blocks and lawn edging containing recovered plastic or postconsumer rubber.
- Amend soils and turf with high quality compost.
- Use recycled glass for golf course bunker sand, beach sand, or filter media.
- Specify high performance concrete, which can contain fly ash and/or other recycled materials to double the life of conventional pavement, wall, and bridge applications.
- Restructure waste disposal contracts to pay only for waste actually disposed weight-based versus fixed rate; if a weight-based rate is not possible and your dumpster is only half-full each time, switch to less frequent pickups.
- Install composting toilets in remote locations such as parks and golf courses to save on waste disposal costs.
American Plastics Councils Recycled Plastic Products Directory Also search for the following product categories:
- Buy hoses, tubing, trickle irrigation systems made from recovered plastic and old tires.
- Use biobased1 cleaners and solvents for equipment.
- Install a green vegetated roof to reduce or eliminate stormwater and heat island effect. See EPAs Stormwater Management page for more information.
- Purchase and incorporate plants that require minimal or no supplemental watering.
Air and Energy
- Purchase biodiesel and biobased1 lubricants for your equipment.
- Compost makes an excellent air filter media for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Specify Green Buildings requirements for building structures.
- Plant trees to replace those removed or damaged during construction.
- Buy locally produced goods and services whenever possible to reduce transportation emissions and costs.
- Purchase or rent fuel efficient vehicles for your fleet.
- Use high efficiency lighting for roadways, parking lots, security, and landscaping.
- Use solar powered lighting and signage wherever possible.
- Utilize solar, wind, and other renewable energy sources. Purchase green power from renewable energy sources if available.
Fertilizers and Pesticides
- Purchase organic, biobased1, or slow-release fertilizers.
- Use biopesticides instead of conventional pesticides.