Lessons LearnedThis guidebook, Pay-As-You-Throw: Lessons Learned About Unit Pricing, is based on proven strategies from communities that have implemented successful PAYT programs nationwide. For introductory material and a discussion of their advantages and disadvantages, download Part I. Review the other sections for information on designing, implementing, and monitoring your program.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Part 1: Is Unit Pricing Right for Your Community (PDF) (9 pp, 660K) - Review this introduction carefully to decide whether using variable rates will help your community meet its solid waste management goals.
- Part 2: Building Consensus and Planning for Unit Pricing (PDF) (9 pp, 360K) - Use the ideas and strategies in Part 2 to determine the goals of your program, design a public education initiative, and schedule your planning activities.
- Part 3: Designing an Integrated Unit Pricing Program (PDF) (26 pp, 860K) - Determine the components of your program and design a rate structure using the information in Part 3.
- Part 4: Implementing and Monitoring Unit Pricing (PDF) (17 pp, 640K) - Read Part 4 for information on how to launch your program and establish a process for evaluating its progress.
- Appendices: Q and A, Examples, Definitions, and Bibliography (PDF) (23 pp, 390K) - For a complete set of questions and answers, examples of how communities have designed their programs, a glossary, and a bibliography for further research, download this collection of the guidebook's four appendices.