Directory of Waste Resources on the Web
- Cross-National Organizations
- National Governments
- News Services
- Selected Research Organizations and Projects
- Selected Agreements and Policies
African Development Bank (ADB) Group The ADB Groups mission is to help reduce poverty, improve living conditions for Africans and mobilize resources for the continents economic and social development.
Asian Development Bank Environmental Sustainability The work of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) is aimed at improving the welfare of the people in Asia and the Pacific.
European Commission (EC) The EC is the European Unions governing body. Its four main roles are to propose legislation to Parliament and the Council, administer and implement Community policies, enforce Community law (jointly with the Court of Justice) and negotiate certain international agreements.
- Environmental Directorate The Environment DG is one of 36 EC Directorates-General (DGs) and specialized services. It initiates and defines new environmental legislation and ensures its implementation in the Member States. The Environment DG is based largely in Brussels and has around 750 staff.
- EUR-Lex EUR-Lex is the internet portal for EU law, including legislation, case law, and the decisional procedures between the Commission and the other institutions.
- Eurostat Eurostat provides statistics for the EU of a wide range of themes, including environment and energy.
- Joint Research Centre – Institute for Environmental Sustainability The JRC is a service of the European Commission that provides scientific and technical support for the conception, development, implementation and monitoring of EU policies. Among its institutes, the Institute for Environment and Sustainability is located in Italy.
Inter-American Development Bank The Environment Division of the Inter-American Development Bank shapes Bank policies and strategies, ensuring that projects fulfill IDB environmental objectives, prepares and disseminates technical studies, and provides guidance on environmental impact assessments and good practices in environmental management and project analysis.
International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI) ICLEI is a democratic local government association governed by its members. It conducts activities on environmental themes defined by Agenda 21, including: sustainable procurement and soil and land use.
Nordic Council of Ministers for the Environment The Nordic Council, formed in 1952, is the forum for inter-parliamentary co-operation among 87 members, representing the five countries and three autonomous territories.
North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation The North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC) is the environmental side agreement to the NAFTA. The NAAEC was signed by Canada, Mexico and the United States and came into force January 1, 1994.
- Canadian Office The NAAEC Canadian office is the single window for information on Canadian activities in implementing the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation in Canada.
- North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC) The Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC) is an international organization created by Canada, Mexico and the United States under the NAAEC to address regional environmental concerns, help prevent potential trade and environmental conflicts, and to promote the effective enforcement of environmental law.
Organization Of American States Department of Sustainable Development The primary function of OSDE is to support the OAS member states in matters related to sustainable development and the environment, with a particular emphasis in linking environmental policies with core economic, rural development, poverty alleviation and economic integration concerns.
Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD)
- Chemical Safety This program works assists with the development and co-ordination of environment health and safety activities internationally.
- Resource Productivity and Waste Through performance reviews, data collection, policy analysis, and projections, OECD provides governments with the analytical basis to develop environmental policies that are effective and economically efficient.
- Division for Sustainable Development The Division for Sustainable Development provides leadership and is an authoritative source of expertise within the United Nations system on sustainable development, including matters related to waste, through technical cooperation and capacity building at international, regional and national levels.
- Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) Environment The ECE develops and implements environmental treaties, and policies with governments in Europe.
- Environment Programme (UNEP) UNEP, established in 1972, is the primary voice for the environment within the United Nations system and acts as a catalyst, advocate, educator and facilitator to promote the wise use and sustainable development of the global environment.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) The FAO leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- World Health Organization (WHO) The WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system.
Armenia Ministry of Nature Protection (for English, click on British flag in upper right corner) The Ministry implements policies in the area of environmental protection and sustainable use of natural resources.
- Australian, State, Territorial, and Local Governments The site is an Australian whole-of-government single point of access (portal) that can be used to search for information on environmental policies and laws across the country.
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities The Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities develops and implements national policy, programs and legislation, including sustainable industry, to protect and conserve Australias natural environment and cultural heritage.
Austria Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management Environment English listing for the Austrian Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Environment and Water Management (BMLFUW) provides basic information on the state of the environment in Austria.
Bangladesh Ministry of Environment and Forests The Ministry is the nodal agency in the administrative structure of the Central Government, for planning, promotion, coordination, and overseeing the implementation of environmental and forestry programs.
Belarus Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection An environmental protection system has been in place in Belarus since 1960.
Brazil-Ministerio de Meo Ambiente Website is in Portuguese
Bulgaria Ministry of Environment and Water The mission of the Ministry is to preserve the natural heritage of Bulgaria and ensure a healthy environment.
- Environment Canada The Environment Canada web pages include Pollution and Waste.
- Canada Provinces and Terrorities This is the official government website of Canada#146;s provinces and territories and can be searched by topic.
Cayman Islands Department of Environment The Department is the main government agency responsible for management and protection of the environment and natural resources.
China Ministry of Environmental Protection This site describes environmental news and provides information on laws and regulations.
Cook Islands National Environment Service The Service is responsible for protecting, managing, and conserving the environment on the Cook Islands.
Cuba Institute of Ecology and Systematics [in Spanish]
Czech Republic Ministry of the Environment The site provides information on state environmental policy and regulations.
Denmark Danish Environmental Protection Agency This agency prevents and combats water, soil, and air pollution. It reports to the Danish Ministry of the Environment and has approximately 300 employees.
Ecuador Ministerio del Ambiente [in Spanish]
Egypt Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency The Agency is part of the Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs.
Estonia Ministry of the Environment The page provides useful links to information on environmental protection in Estonia.
Finland Environmental Administration Wastes and Waste Management (in Finnish; English version available end of 2013) Finlands environmental administration promotes ecological sustainability and the economic and social and cultural preconditions for achieving this sustainability. The Ministry of the Environment has overall responsibility for the environmental administration, including: 13 regional environment centers, 3 regional environmental permit authorities, and the Finnish Environment Institute.
- French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME) ADEME provides advice and decision support, encourages research and development, and disseminates best practices.
- Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy [in French]
Georgia Ministry of Environment Protection and Natural Resources The Ministry supports sustainable development in the country and implements state policies on environmental protection.
- Federal Environmental Agency The Agency is Germanys central environmental office. It supports the federal German environment ministry on environmental protection and health issues; brings scientific expertise into the execution of law; collects data on the environment; and informs the general public about environmental issues.
- Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety The ministry manages three federal agencies: the Federal Environmental Agency, the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation, and the Federal Office for Radiation Protection). The ministry also receives advice from several independent expert bodies, including the Council of Environmental Advisors and the Advisory Council on Global Change.
Ghana Environmental Protection Agency The Agency is Ghanas primary public body responsible for protecting and improving the environment.
Greece Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change The Ministry is responsible for developing and managing environmental policy in order to achieve integrated and sustainable development.
Grenada - Ministry of Economic Development, Trade, Planning and Cooperatives Ministry is charged with achieving sustainable development in trade policy, environment management and export development.
Hong Kong Environmental Protection Department Under the Secretary for the environment, transport, and works, EPD had five divisions responsible for seven program areas air, community relations, environmental assessment and planning, noise, water, waste and waste facilitiesplus enforcement.
Hungary Ministry of Rural Development This ministry is Hungarys central governing body for environment and nature protection and water affairs.
Iceland – Ministry for the Environment and Natural Resources The Ministry formulates and enforces policy relating to environmental affairs.
India Ministry of Environment and Forests The Ministry of Environment and Forests is the nodal agency in the administrative structure of the Central Government for planning, promotion, co-ordination and overseeing the implementation of environmental and forestry programs.
Indonesia Ministry for the Environment The State Ministry for the Environment assists the President in formulating and coordinating policies relating to the environment.
Ireland Environmental Protection Agency The EPA is an independent public body managed by a full time Executive Board and organized into five offices.
Israel Ministry of Environmental Protection This site describes environmental policy, laws, and regulation in Israel.
- Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (ENEA) ENEA is a public undertaking operating in the fields of energy, the environment and new technologies to support competitiveness and sustainable development.
- Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land, and Sea This ministry is responsible for laws and guidelines to protect the environment.
- Ministry of the Environment The Ministry plays the central role in government environmental policy, including policy planning and formulation of waste and recycling measures.
- National Institute for Environmental Studies An independent body, the National Institute for Environmental Studies plays a central role in environmental research in Japan. It includes a research center for material cycles and waste management.
Jordan Ministry of Environment The Ministrys mission is to conserve natural resources and contribute to sustainable development.
Kenya Ministry of Environment and Mineral Resources The mission of the Ministry is to Develop, Conserve, Protect and sustainably manage the Environment and Natural Resources for National Development.
Korea Ministry of Environment The primary government agency responsible for the overall protection of Koreas environment, the Ministry of Environment works to improve the ambient environment, harmonize environmental and economic policymaking, and enhance international cooperation.
Latvia Ministry of Environment Protection and Regional Development The Ministry develops and implements national policy for environmental protection.
Lesotho Ministry of Forestry and Land Reclamation The Ministry provides services in forestry, soil and water conservation, range resources management, and nature conservation.
Lithuania Ministry of Environment The Ministry of Environment is the main managing authority of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania responsible for policy on environmental protection, forestry, utilization of natural resources, geology and hydrometeorology, territorial planning, and construction.
Luxembourg Environment [in French]
Macedonia Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning The Ministry includes four departments, two divisions, and three constituent bodies.
Malaysia - Department of Environment - The Department of the Environment is in Malaysias Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. The Departments main role is to prevent, control, and abate pollution through enforcement of the Environmental Quality Act 1974 and subsequent national legislation.
Mexico Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) The Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources (Secretaría del Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales, SEMARNAT) is a government agency whose main purpose is to create a State environmental protection policy that reverses the tendencies of ecological deterioration and establishes the bases for sustainable development. [in Spanish]
Moldova Ministry of Environment [in Romanian]
Mongolia Ministry of Nature, Environment, and Tourism [in Mongolian]
Nepal Ministry of Environment, Science and Technology The Ministry of Environment is responsible for conserving the natural environment and promoting sustainable development.
Netherlands Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment The Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management (VenW) and the Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment (VROM) have been merged to form a new Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment.
- Environmental Protection Authority ERMA is a quasi-judicial decision-making body that manages risks to the environment, public health and safety associated with importing or manufacturing hazardous substances and introducing new organisms.
- Ministry for the Environment Waste The Ministry advises the Government on New Zealands environmental laws, policies, standards and guidelines, monitors how they are working in practice, and takes any action needed to improve them.
Northern Mariana Islands Division of Environmental Quality The Division protects the right of each person to a clean and healthful environment.
- Ministry of the Environment Topics on the website include hazardous chemicals and waste, along with information on national acts, regulations, and guidelines.
Pakistan Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency The Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency is a department of the Ministry of Environment and responsible for implementing the 1997 Pakistan Environmental Protection Act.
Palestine National Authority Ministry of Environmental Affairs (MENA) MENA is the central authority responsible for environmental affairs in the Palestinian Territories.
Panama Autoridad Nacional del Ambiente [in Spanish]
Peru Consejo Nacional del Ambiente [in Spanish]
Philippines Department of Environment and Natural Resources The Department is the primary agency responsible for the conservation, management, development, and proper use of the countrys environment and natural resources.
Poland Ministry of the Environment The Ministry website provides information including laws, access to numerous publications, and useful links.
Russia Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation The Ministry develops and implements national policy on both natural resources and environmental protection.
Scotland Scottish Environment Protection Agency Established in 1995, SEPA is responsible for environmental protection in Scotland.
Singapore Ministry of Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) MEWR aims to achieve environmental sustainability in the long term.
South Africa Department of Environmental Affairs The Departments goals include sustainable development and resource conservation.
- Swedish Chemicals Agency (KEMI) KEMI is a supervisory authority under the Ministry of the Environment that promotes legislation and rules to achieve the environmental quality objective of a non-toxic environment.
- Environmental Protection Agency The Swedish EPA is a central environmental authority under the Swedish Government. It co-ordinates and promotes environmental work on both a national and international level.
Switzerland Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) The FOEN is the federal governments center of environmental expertise and is part of the Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communication.
Taiwan Environmental Protection Administration The EPA implements control measures, prevents pollution, and supports international environmental initiatives to achieve sustainable development.
Tanzania Environment The site describes Tanzanian national environmental policies.
Thailand Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment Pollution Control Department The Pollution Control Department was established on June 4, 1992 under the Royal Decree on the Organizational Division of Pollution Control Department, Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment.
United Arab Emirates Ministry of Environment and Water The organizations mission is to work for an integrated management to attain a sustainable development.
- Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) DEFRA addresses economic, social and environmental concerns in supporting sustainable development goals, e.g., through rural policy, and has roles in both European Union and global policy making, so that its work has a strong international dimension.
- Environment Agency The Agencys waste activities include licensing waste management, registering transport of wastes, and providing support for waste minimization.
- Waste and Resources Action Programme WRAP is a government program to accelerate resource efficiency by creating efficient markets for recycled materials and products, while removing barriers to waste minimization.
- Department of State Environment and Conservation This State Department web page provides numerous links on a range of international environmental issues and information on US policy positions.
- Environmental Protection Agency – Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery ORCR is responsible for implementing solid and hazardous waste requirements under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
EURactive EURactive provides European Union news and policy positions on the environment and a wide range of topics. Environmental topics are organized under policy headings of priority importance to the EU.
Europa Press Room The EU Press Room page provides access to the press releases of nearly all EU institutions as soon as they are published. It also provides a calendar function identifying forthcoming events from the EU political agenda.
Blacksmith Institute The Blacksmith Institute is an international non-profit organization dedicated to solving pollution problems in low and middle income countries, where human health is at risk.
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE) EAERE is an international scientific association.
Global Ecolabelling Network The Global Ecolabelling Network (GEN) is a non-profit association of third-party, environmental performance labelling organizations founded in 1994 to improve, promote, and develop the ecolabelling of products and services.
International Network for Environmental Compliance and Enforcement (INECE) INECE is a partnership of government and non-government enforcement and compliance practitioners from more than 150 countries to raise awareness to compliance and enforcement issues associated with environmental requirements.
International Society for Industrial Ecology (ISIE) ISIE promotes industrial ecology as an innovative way of finding solutions to complicated environmental problems and facilitates communications among parties concerned with integrating environmental and economic concerns.
International Solid Waste Association (ISWA) ISWA is an international, independent and non-profit association working in the public interest to promote and develop sustainable waste management worldwide. ISWA has members from more than 70 countries around the world.
World Business Council for Sustainable Development The WBCSD is a coalition of 170 international companies united by a shared commitment to sustainable development via the three pillars of economic growth, ecological balance and social progress. Members are drawn from more than 35 countries and 20 major industrial sectors.
Zero Waste Grass Root Recycling Network (GRRN) The mission of GRRN is to eliminate the waste of natural and human resources to achieve Zero Waste and to build sustainable communities.
Selected Research Organizations and Projects
Canadian Pollution Prevention Information Clearinghouse The Canadian Pollution Prevention Information Clearinghouse is an online database and comprehensive resource that provides Canadians with the information they need to put pollution prevention (P2) into practice.
Columbia University Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) CIESIN applies state-of-the-art information technology to pressing interdisciplinary data, information, and research problems related to human interactions in the environment.
Copenhagen Resource Institute The site provides information on activities within the country and the EU.
INFORM INFORM is an independent research organization that studies the influence of innovative business practices, e.g., related to waste prevention, on the environment and human health.
Institutes for International and European Environmental Policy Institutes for European Environmental Policy conduct applied environmental research, policy analysis and consultancy activities.
- Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP) IEEP is an independent not-for-profit institute dedicated to advancing an environmentally sustainable Europe through policy analysis, development and dissemination.
- Institute for International and European Environmental Policy (ECOLOGIC) ECOLOGIC is a private not-for-profit think tank for applied environmental research, policy analysis and consultancy with offices in Berlin and Brussels.
International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) Founded in 1990, IISD promotes change towards sustainable development. Through research and through effective communication of findings, the organization works with government, business, NGOs and other sectors to develop and implement policies that are simultaneously beneficial to the global economy, the global environment and to social well-being.
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) SEI is an independent international research institute engaged in environment and development issues.
University of Massachusetts Lowell Center for Sustainable Production The Lowell Center for Sustainable Production helps to build healthy work environments, thriving communities, and viable businesses that support a more sustainable world. They do this by working collaboratively with citizen groups, workers, businesses, institutions, and government agencies.
World Resources Institute (WRI) WRI is a global environmental organization dedicated to policy and analysis.
Worldwatch Institute The Worldwatch Institute focuses on environmental challenges of the 21st century by developing innovative strategies for achieving a sustainable society.
American University, Washington College of Law International Environmental Law and Policy This web-based resource document provides background information on concepts and principles used in environmental law and policy.
Center for Economic and Social Studies on the Environment (CESSE) Virtual Library on Sustainable Development This extensive set of links is maintained by CESSE in Brussels. CESSE is made up of a multi-disciplinary research team which devotes its activities to the quantitative and qualitative evaluation of the interactions between the economy and the environment.
Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) GTAP aims to improve the quality of quantitative analysis of global economic issues within an economy-wide framework. It is coordinated by the Center for Global Trade Analysis at Purdue University.
International Electronics Manufacturing Initiative (iNEMI) iNEMI is a consortium whose mission is to assure leadership of the global electronics manufacturing supply chain.
SEDAC Environmental Treaties and Resource Indicators (ENTRI) ENRI is an online service for accessing information about environmental treaties, including text, status, and other useful information.
Tufts Fletcher School Fletcher-Ginn Multilaterals Project The project makes available a wide range of texts of multilateral international conventions and other instruments.
Selected Inter-Governmental Initiatives and Policies
Basel Convention United Nations The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Waste and their Disposal was adopted in 1989 and entered force in1992. The US is not a signatory, but participates in many Basel activities.
ECOLEX ECOLEX is a database that provides comprehensive information on environmental law internationally. It is operated jointly by FAO. IUCN, AND ENEP.
Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships The Convention was adopted in May 2008 to ensure that ships, when being recycled after reaching the end of their operational lives, do not pose any unnecessary risk to human health and safety or to the environment.
Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development The overarching objective of this effort, announced at the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg and co-sponsored by South Africa, Canada, and others, is to enhance the capacity for governance in the mining, minerals and metals sector.
Rotterdam Convention United Nations The Rotterdam Convention, which came into force in February 2004, makes prior informed consent (PIC) legally binding to assist importing countries identify chemicals and pesticides they cannot safely manage.
StEP StEP is an initiative involving government, industry, and other sectors to address e-waste problems through sustainable approaches.
Stockholm Convention on Persistent and Organic Pollutants (POPs) United Nations The POPs Convention, which entered into force in May 2004, is a global treaty to protect human health and the environment from chemicals that remain in the environment for long periods of time and are widely distributed.
The 3RS Initiative “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle” was adopted at the G-8 Summit in 2008.
End of Life Vehicles Directive EU Dating to September 2002, the End-of-Life-Vehicles Directive is intended to prevent waste and promote the appropriate collections, reuse, and disposal of component vehicle parts.
Directive 2008/1/EC - EU The Directive of 2008 concerns integrated pollution prevention and control.
Packaging Waste Directive EU The original Council Directive was issued in December 2004. It harmonizes national measures on the management of packaging and packaging wastes and establishes recycling goals.
PVCs EU The EU issued a Green Paper in 2000 on risk associated with uses of PVC in products and waste disposal issues. The EU Commission passed a resolution in 2001 calling for integrated action on PVCs, consistent with the End-of-Life Vehicles Directive.
Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) EU The European Unions REACH Directive gives greater responsibility to industry to manage the risks from chemicals and to provide safety information on the substances.
ROHS Directive EU The ROHS Directive, issued in January 2003 in conjunction with the WEE Directive, restricts the use of certain hazardous substances in electronic and electrical equipment.
WEE Directive EU The Directive on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEE), issued in January 2003 in conjunction with the ROHS Directive, prevents the generation of wastes from these sources and encourages their recovery, reuse, and recycling.