Methods Innovation Rule (MIR)
Summary - Final Rule
The Methods Innovations Rule (MIR) includes the following revisions to SW-846:
- Certain SW-846 testing regulations will allow the use of other practical test methods, so long as they fall within EPAs parameter to protect human health and the environment. Some required uses of SW-846 methods remain in the regulations because they involve determination of method-defined regulatory parameters, which can only be the method specified.
- Finalizes proposed revisions to Update IIIB to the Third Edition of SW-846;
- Removes requirements to use Chapter Nine, Sampling Plan in certain circumstances;
- Amends Sections 7.3.3 and 7.3.4 of SW-846 Chapter Seven to withdraw
- Cyanide and sulfide reactivity guidance;
- Required uses of reactive cyanide and sulfide methods; and
- Threshold levels from conditional delistings.
Correction Notice - August 1, 2005
Final Rule - June 14, 2005
Fact Sheet: Hazardous Waste SW-846 Process Streamlined || PDF File (1 pp, 13K, About PDF)
Proposed Rule - October 30, 2002
Previous SW-846 Federal Register Notices
The support materials for this rule and the public comments EPA received on the proposal are available for public review online, as explained below.
To use Regulations.gov:
- Select Docket Search.
- Select "Environmental Protection Agency" from the Agency drop-down menu.
- In the Docket ID box, type in the docket number EPA-HQ-RCRA-2002-0025)
and press the "Submit" button to receive search results.
Be patient; loading the documents takes time.