Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) Transfer
- lead to greater overall efficiencies in EPA cleanup and disposal activities
- result in more efficient use of EPA resources
- be a natural fit with EPA’s One Cleanup Program
- safely managing waste
- preparing for and preventing chemical and oil spills
- responding to accidents and emergencies
- cleaning up and reusing contaminated property
EPA published a procedural rule to move the management of the PCB cleanup program. The procedural rule had an effective date of October 9, 2007. In addition, please note:
- OSWER will implement the TSCA PCB regulations as they currently exist.
- There will be no changes to the PCB regulations prior to or immediately following the transfer.
- Any future changes to the PCB regulations would not likely occur until after 2008.
- The management of PCB cleanup and disposal under TSCA will continue to be a federally implemented program and will not be delegated to the states.
- See the delegation memo (12 pp, 4M, About PDF) outlining the PCB program responsibilites of OSWER and OPPTS (OPPTS renamed Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, OCSPP, effective April 22, 2010).
- See the re-delegation memo (3 pp, 79K, About PDF) outlining the PCB activities that were shifted to Office of Solid Waste (renamed Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery on January 18, 2009).
What PCB activities will remain in OPPTS (renamed Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, OCSPP, effective April 22, 2010)?
OPPT will continue to manage the current authorized uses of PCBs.
OPPTS (renamed Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, OCSPP, effective April 22, 2010) has worked closely with OSWER and EPA’s regional offices to ensure a smooth transfer of the PCB program’s regulatory history and current projects. Updates and information will be posted as they become available.
OPPTS (renamed Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, OCSPP, effective April 22, 2010) Contact: Sara McGurk (firstname.lastname@example.org) - 202-566-0480
OSWER Contact: David Hockey (email@example.com) - 703-308-8846