Resources from America's Marketplace Recycles: A Guide to Waste Reduction at Shopping Centers
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPAs PDF page to learn more.
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
1221 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1099
(212) 589-5555 (fax)
ICSC is the global trade association of the shopping center industry. Its 45,000 members in the United States, Canada, and more than 70 other countries include shopping center owners, developers, managers, marketing specialists, investors, lenders, retailers, academics, public officials, and other professionals. ICSC and EPA have teamed up to form the Americas Marketplace Recycles! initiative and have established an awards program recognizing significant recycling and waste prevention efforts. ICSC also has published a brochure explaining the recycling initiative.
- EPAs Americas Marketplace Recycles! Program
EPAs website to support waste reduction and recycling at shopping centers.
- EPAs WasteWise Program
EPAs free, partnership program designed to help organizations eliminate costly solid waste offers a host of free tools and resources.
- WasteWise Tip SheetFacility Waste Assessments (PDF) (3 pp, 48K)
- WasteWises Resource Management Page
- From Waste to Resource Management: Reinventing Waste Contracts and Services (PDF) (10 pages, 57K) (A discussion paper prepared for EPA)
- Model Language for Resource Management Request for Proposal (PDF) (33 pp, 193K)
- EPAs Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines (CPG) Supplier Database
Searchable online database of products in a variety of categories containing recycled-content materials. Select the Supplier Database button on the left.
- EPAs Database on Environmental Information for Products and Services
Searchable online database containing environmental standards, contract language, and additional information about a wealth of products and services that have environmentally preferable attributes, including recycled content.
- EPAs State-Specific Universal Waste Regulations
Comprehensive list of state-specific regulations regarding management of universal wastes such as batteries, agricultural pesticides, and thermostats.
- Weight-to-Volume Conversion Factors (PDF) (4 pp, 61K)
Standard weight to volume conversion factors.
- National Recycling Coalition
Homepage of the nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement and improvement of recycling, source reduction, and reuse.
- Reuse Development Organization, Inc. (ReDO)
Nonprofit organization that promotes reuse as an environmentally sound, socially beneficial, and economical means for managing surplus and discarded materials.
- US State Recycling Organizations
Comprehensive list of state recycling organizations provided by the GrassRoots Recycling Network.
This nonprofit partnership works with businesses and communities to implement cost-effective recycling and waste reduction programs.
- Earth 911
Web-based environmental clearinghouse manages a national hotline (1-800-CLEANUP) and web site to provide community-specific resources to encourage citizen involvement in environmental protection activities. Visit the Web site for a listing of state and local recycling coordinators and other relevant information.
Retail Recycling and Waste Reduction
- California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)
- EPAs Business Guide for Reducing Solid Waste (PDF) (82 pp, 49MB)
Comprehensive waste reduction guide with helpful information about first steps, conducting a waste assessment, and selecting, implementing, and monitoring waste reduction options.
- EPAs Resource Management: Innovative Solid Waste Contracting Methods
This manual is designed to help guide businesses and other organizations through an innovative contracting strategy.
- American Beverage Association
The associations recycling page, offering information and helpful resources about recycling soft drink bottles and cans.
- Reusable Transport Packaging
Information for various types of reusable transport packaging.
- EPAs List of Materials Exchange Programs
Comprehensive list of state-by-state programs with contact information.
- Corrugated Packaging Councils Recycling Center
Trade associations information and guidance on recycling OCC.
- Recycling Today Online Baler Guide
February 1997 online issue highlighting information about OCC balers.
- American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA)
The official paper manufacturer trade associations information on paper recycling.
- Glass Packaging Institute Recycling Information
The glass container industrys information and guidance on recycling glass.
- Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers
A wealth of information about recycling expanded polystyrene (EPS).
- SPI: The Plastics Industry Trade Association
Information on plastics and the environment.
- The Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers
National trade association representing companies who acquire, reprocess, and sell the output of more than 90 percent of the postconsumer plastic processing capacity in North America.
- Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries
The national trade association of the scrap processing and recycling industry.
- Steel Recycling Institute
The industry association that promotes and sustains the recycling of all steel products.
- The Aluminum Association, Inc.
The official trade association of aluminum producers, recyclers, and suppliers.
- National Wooden Pallet & Container Association
Information for being an environmentally responsible wooden pallet user.
- Association of Lighting and Mercury Recyclers
The nonprofit organization representing members of the mercury recycling industry.
- EPAs Environmental Fact Sheet on Used Lamps (PDF) (2 pp, 14K)
Background information about used lamps being added to EPAs list of universal waste.
- Lamprecycle.org is a web resource sponsored by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) to encourage the recycling of spent mercury-containing lamps.
The manufacturers cartridge return program.
- Hewlett Packard
The manufacturers product recycling page.
The manufacturers printer supplies recycling program.
- National Center for Electronics Recycling (NCER)
NCER is dedicated to the development and enhancement of a national infrastructure for the recycling of used electronics in the US.
Construction and Demolition Materials
- EPAs Construction and Demolition Materials website
Defines construction and demolition materials, provides background information, and provides a link to EPAs report, entitled Characterization of Building-Related Construction and Demolition Debris in the United States.
- Asphalt Recycling and Reclaiming Association
Provides information on using reclaimed asphalt.
- Construction Materials Recycling Association
Association of the North American construction waste and demolition debris processing and recycling industry.
- King County, Washingtons Construction Recycling Program
Valuable guidance on implementing a successful construction recycling program.
Community Outreach and Take-back Programs
- EPAs Plug-In to eCycling Program
Information about EPAs electronic recycling program and how to become a partner organization.
- Nikes Reuse-A-Shoe Program
Information about Nikes shoe collection program and how to become a program partner.
- America Recycles Day
The official Web site of the nonprofit organization that sponsors the annual national recycling campaign.
- California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)
A list of public education campaign ideas that promote waste reduction.
View and print this document (PDF) (6 pp, 407K)
Note: The PDF file is not updated.