Hazardous Waste Electronic Manifest System
This 2008 notice announced the availability of additional information on the electronic manifest (e-Manifest) project. Specifically, EPA’s Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) had made significant progress on the e-Manifest project since the publication of the April 18, 2006 public notice, which announced and requested comment on our intention to develop a centralized web-based information technology (IT) system that would be hosted on EPA’s IT architecture. However, a few issues raised by commenters in response to the April 2006 public notice required further analysis.
We received strong support in response to the April 2006 public notice to establish a national web-based system funded through user-fees. In addition, commenters generally supported our position that use of e-Manifests should be at the election of the users rather than mandatory. However, some commenters expressed concern that an optional system would create dual paper and electronic systems. Furthermore, industry and state comments in response to our position to allow confidential business information (CBI) claims for e-Manifests differed. Therefore, as explained in this notice, EPA solicited additional comment on EPA’s position on these two issues. We remain committed to finalizing a federal regulation that will authorize the regulated community to use electronic manifests as the legal equivalent of paper manifests, and will consider the comments received on this notice, as well as other comments received from previous actions, before we make a final decision.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Federal Register (PDF) (7 pp, 201K) - February 26, 2008
The support materials for this notice and the public comments EPA received on the notice are available for public review online, as explained below. Please note that the notice materials will not be available from Regulations.gov until the notice is published in the Federal Register.
To use Regulations.gov:
- Select Docket Search.
- Select "Environmental Protection Agency" from the Agency drop-down menu.
- In the Docket ID box, type in the docket number (e.g., EPA-HQ-RCRA-2001-0032) and press the " Submit" button to receive search results. Be patient; loading the documents takes time.
Presentations from a May 2004 Public Meeting on Development and Implementation of Electronic Manifests to Accompany Hazardous Waste Shipments
EPA's Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) held a two-day public meeting on May 19-20, 2004, to discuss and obtain public input on a national electronic manifest ("e- manifest") system. Specifically, the purpose of the meeting was to present our rulemaking progress to date and to solicit input and preferences from stakeholders and other interested persons on the development and implementation of the e-manifest, as well as on alternative information technology (IT) systems. Interested parties were encouraged to attend the meeting and participate actively in these discussions. Participants were able to register on-line for the meeting.
The meeting consisted of a plenary session supplemented by concurrent breakout sessions. The meeting structure was governed by four main areas of e-manifest system development.
- Business processes and functionalities or "work flow";
- Governance implications (management, maintenance);
- IT system architecture and implications; and,
- Funding sources and mechanisms for deploying such a system.
- RCRA Hazardous Waste e-Manifest Roadmap Overview, Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (PDF) (36 pp, 631K)
- Funding Breakout Session: RCRA Hazarous Waste Electronic Manifest Proposal, Mark Eads (35 pp, 117K)
- Office of Environmental Information (OEI) e-Manifest, Renee Wynn (PDF) (7 pp, 80K)
- Development and Implementation of Electronic Hazardous Waste Tracking: The Ontario Experience, George Rocoski (PDF) (34 pp, 216K)
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's e-Manifest, Elizabeth Bols (PDF) (10 pp, 79K)
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and e-Manifest: Transparent Tracking of Goods and Personnel, Daniel Munyan (PDF) (40 pp, 3.8MB)
Full Proceedings (PDF) (28 pp, 342K)
Presentations from a November 2008 Users Meeting on Development and Implementation of Electronic Manifests to Accompany Hazardous Waste Shipments
On November 19 and 20, 2008, EPA’s Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) held a meeting of state and industry representatives in Arlington, VA to discuss our preferred approach for developing an electronic manifest (e-Manifest) system. Our preferred approach, announced in an April 18, 2006, Federal Register notice, is to develop a centralized web-based system that would be hosted on EPA’s information technology architecture. Meeting participants were asked for input into the design, development, and operation of the centralized system.
The meeting began with a plenary discussion of the basic aspects of the e-Manifest system and user needs. Participants then divided into section breakouts and worked on topics related to the e-Manifest for the rest of the day. The sections included:
Section 1: e-Manifest Workflow, Business Process and Desired System Capabilities and Functional Requirements.
Section 2: e-Manifest Administrative Requirements, Data Access Requirements, and Data Quality Requirements.
The sections reconvened on the second day of the meeting and continued their work. This was followed by a plenary session for the remainder of the meeting in which topics of general interest were discussed (e.g., legacy systems).
- Summary of Meeting (PDF) (38pp, 219K)
- Slide Presentation (PDF) (124 pp, 580K)
- Glossary (PDF) (3 pp, 23K)
Following the meeting, EPA held a series of webinars with participants to discuss topics that required further input. The webinars took place between April and June of 2009. The webinar topics and dates were as follows:
- Webinar 1: Lessons Learned from Multi-State e-Manifest Pilot Study, April 22, 2009
- Summary of Webinar (PDF) (10 pp, 85K)
- Slide Presentation, Part 1 (PDF) (15 pp, 179K)
- Slide Presentation, Part 2 (PDF) (28 pp, 1.4MB)
- Webinar 2: Alternatives Analysis for e-Manifest, May 12, 2009
- Summary of Webinar (PDF) (14 pp, 106K)
- Slide Presentation, Part 1 (PDF) (25 pp, 219K)
- Slide Presentation, Part 2 (PDF) (1 pg, 11K)
- Webinar 3: Manifest Data Quality and e-Manifest Integration with Biennial Report, June 9, 2009
- Webinar 4: Practical Expectations for System Performance and Anticipated Stakeholder Benefits, June 23, 2009