Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model Version 3.1 (IWEM v3.1)
Join EPA for a webinar on the IWEM Version 3.1
Wednesday, September 16, 2015
1:00 - 2:00 PM EDT
Register for the Webinar today!
On this page
- What is the Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model (IWEM)?
- Who uses IWEM?
- Where can I find the IWEM model, userís guide, and technical background document?
- Former Versions of IWEM
The Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model (IWEM) is a screening level ground water model designed to simulate contaminant fate and transport. IWEM v3.1 is the latest version of the IWEM software (IWEM v1.0), which includes additional tools to evaluate the beneficial use of industrial materials.
For an IWEM v3.1 evaluation, the user provides site-specific parameters to characterize the source, and the regional climate and hydrogeological conditions. Based on these inputs, the model employs a Monte Carlo based fate and transport simulation to estimate the concentrations of the contaminants at a down gradient receptor well.
IWEM v3.1 consists of six modules used to evaluate the potential impacts to ground water resources associated with waste management practices of industrial materials, or the beneficial use of these materials:
- Waste Management Unit (WMU) Modules (landfill, land application unit, surface impoundment, and waste pile)
- Beneficial Use Modules (roadway and structural fill)
WMU modules help to determine the most appropriate liner design that minimizes or avoids impact to ground water. While the beneficial use modules help to evaluate the appropriateness of reusing industrial materials in roadway construction and structural fill applications.
IWEM v3.1 can assist managers of proposed or existing waste management units, state regulatory and permitting bodies, and community advocacy groups determine ground water impacts from waste management practices. In addition, with the incorporation of the beneficial use modules, IWEM can assist state and local regulators, engineers, and other stakeholders in determining whether the reuse of industrial materials is environmentally appropriate.
Listed below are links to the IWEM v3.1 executable files, the Userís Guide for IWEM v3.1, and the supporting Technical Background Document. The list also includes a peer review summary report for the roadway module and the associated Agencyís response to the peer review comments.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model Version 3.1: User's Guide (PDF) (244 pp, 9.83 MB)
- Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model Version 3.1: Technical Background Document (PDF) (251 pp, 4.76 MB)
- Peer Review of the Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model Version 3.0 (PDF) (47 pp, 1.33 MB)
- Response to Peer Review Comments: Industrial Waste Management Evaluation Model Version 3.0 (PDF) (69 pp, 932 K)
The older version of IWEM and its documents will be available online temporarily; however, the Agency intends to archive these starting on October 1, 2015.
IWEM v1.0 Model File:
IWEM v1.0 Documentation:
- IWEM 1.0 Userís Guide, EPA 530-R-02-013, August 2002 (PDF) (205 pp, 13.31 MB)
- IWEM 1.0 Technical Background Document, EPA 530-R-02-012, August 2002 (PDF) (324 pp, 2.67 MB)
Contact us to ask a question, provide feedback, or report a problem.