Waste Management in Indian Country
- Tribal Waste Management Program Sustainability Evaluation Tool (.xlsx)
- Office of Inspector General Evaluation Report: EPA Needs an Agency-Wide Plan to Provide Tribal Solid Waste Management Capacity Assistance (PDF) (30 pp, 224K, about PDF)
- EPA Response to the Office of Inspector General Evaluation Report (PDF) (2 pp, 763K, about PDF) signed June 22, 2011
- The Final Plan - The Environmental Protection Agency-Wide Plan to Provide Solid Waste Management Capacity Assistance to Tribes
- 3 Steps to Developing a Tribal Integrated Waste Management Plan (PDF) (2 pp, 371K, about PDF)
- Tribal Decisionmakers Guide
- Tribal Waste Journal
- Management of Scrap Tires
- Backyard Burning
EPAs Tribal Solid Waste Management Program encourages municipal solid waste and hazardous waste management practices in Indian Country that are protective of human health and the environment. The information on this page provides a more in-depth look at our waste management program.
Where You Live
EPA tribal program contacts provide useful, up-to-date information about building waste management capacity, developing tribal infrastructure, realizing economic sustainability for tribal waste programs, and forging partnerships for waste management among tribes, states, local governments, and federal agencies.
To be successful, every solid waste management program needs funding. Unfortunately, especially in an era of tightening budgets, it may be difficult to find the needed resources. Remoteness, small community size, and lack of resources make this situation even more acute in Indian Country. The information on this page may help you locate the funding you need.
Because of the unique challenges facing tribal waste managers, we have developed resource guides featuring in-depth information specific to Indian Country. Highlights include the Tribal Decisionmakers Guide to Solid Waste Management and the Tribal Waste Journal.
This is a list of direct links to web sites that contain resources on a variety of waste management topics.