Viewing WATERS Data using Google Earth
The WATERS KMZ files are compressed Keyhole Markup Language (KML) files that provide easy access to geospatial WATERS data and services. The Office of Water provides both a Vector and Raster version of the KMZ files. The current release of the KMZ files require the use of Google Earth version 5.0 or higher.
To get started using the WATERSKMZ tool visit the WATERSKMZ tutorial.
WATERS Data 1.4 (Vector).kmz
WATERS Data 1.4 (Raster).kmz
Note: The Raster KMZ uses a different layout from the Vector.
Access to framework geospatial datasets stored in the WATERS Database, such as NHD, WBD,
NHDPlus, Water Program Features indexed to the NHD, and to general purpose services
|Dialog boxes providing access to tools, services, and information, such as NHD feature name query, total waters, up/downstream navigation, watershed reports, ATTAINS reports, etc.|
|Access to indexed water program features, with hyperlinks to additional attributes, and context sensitive analysis services, such as up/downstream navigation and watershed reports|
|Full descriptive legend showing layer symbology|
|Integrated information frame for analysis results|
Note: The above example is based on the vector KMZ file.
Indexed Water Program Features (Reach Address Database (RAD) Data)
- 303(d) Listed Impaired Waters
- 305(b) Assessed Waters
- Clean Watersheds Needs Survey
- Combined Sewer Overflows
- CWSRF Benefits Reporting
- Facilities that Discharge to Water
- Fish Consumption Advisories
- Fish Tissue Data
- TMDLs on Impaired Waters
- Monitoring Locations
- No Discharge Zones for Vessel Sewage
- Nonpoint Source Projects
- Some tools and reports are only available for certain features types (points, lines, areas). i.e. The Upstream Downstream Tool is only available for line features.
Please refer to the underlying data and/or services web pages for metadata related to the WATERS KMZ files.
|Type||Hyperlinks to metadata|
- The KMZ files are designed to work in version 5.0 or higher of Google Earth.
Vector & Raster Version: 1.4 - Released: February 07, 2012
- Removed Water Quality Standards program from KMZ.
Vector Version 1.3 & Raster Version 1.2 - Released: November 24, 2010
- Added STORET Monitoring Locations to both versions of the WATERSKMZ.
- Added STORET Monitoring Locations to the Upstream-Downstream Search tool.
Raster Version: 1.1 - Released: September 30, 2010
- Added TMDLs on Impaired Waters to KMZ.
- Updated Water Program Features names to match Vector version.
Vector Version: 1.2 - Released: May 07, 2010
- Simplified terminology and structure.
- Symbology integrated into MyPlaces pane.
- Miscellaneous bubble improvements.
Vector Version: 1.1 - Released: November 13, 2009
- KMZ files now require Google Earth 5.0 or higher.
- The terminology used in the KMZ files was simplified.
- The KMZ service tools were simplified.
- A new Surfacewater Features legend was added.
Vector & Raster Version: 1.0 - Released: August 31, 2009
- Initial release of both Vector and Raster based KMZ files