Peter A. BeedlowSpecial Assistant to the Director
- B.A., Hiram College, Hiram, OH; Biology, 1973
- Ph.D., Utah State University, Logan, UT: Biology, 1979
- M.B.A., University of Washington, Seattle; Marketing, 1986
- 1999: Director (acting) Western Ecology Division
- 1990-2001: Chief, Terrestrial Ecology Branch, USEPA,WED, Corvallis
- 1988-1990: Leader of the Global Systems Team EPA, Environmental Research Laboratory, Corvallis, OR
- 1980-1988: Research scientist, Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories, Richland WA
Research Interests and Skills:
- Ecosystem effects: process-level effects of anthropogenic stresses
- Plant community ecology: plant-animal interactions, structure-function relations
- Application of remote sensing technology to ecological research and assessment
Professional Societies, Honors:
- Ecological Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
- US Patent. Sauer, R.H., and P.A. Beedlow. Electric Dendrometer. US Patent No. 4549355, 1985
- Hogsett. W. E., D. T. Tingey, E. H. Lee, P. A. Beedlow, and C. P. Andersen. 2008. An approach for evaluating the effectiveness of various ozone air quality standards for protecting trees. Environmental Management DOI 10.1007/s00267-007-9057-3. WED-07-124
- Beedlow, P.A., D. T. Tingey, E. H. Lee, D. L. Phillips, C. P. Andersen, R. S. Waschmann and M. G. Johnson. 2007. Sapwood moisture in Douglas–fir boles and seasonal changes in soil water. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 1263-1271. WED-05-081.
- Beedlow, P. A. and D. T. Tingey (eds.). 2007. A Summary of NHEERL Ecological Research on Global Climate Change. US Environmental Protection Agency, EPA/600/R-05/007 (April).
- Beedlow, P. A., D. T. Tingey, R.S. Waschmann, D.L. Phillips and M.G. Johnson. 2007. Bole water content shows little seasonal variation in century-old Douglas-fir trees. Tree Physiology 27: 737–747.
- Lee E. H., D.T. Tingey, P.A. Beedlow, M.G. Johnson, C. A. Burdick. 2007. Relating fine root biomass to soil and climate conditions in the Pacific Northwest. Forest Ecology and Management 242: 195–208.
- Tingey D.T., D.L. Phillips, M.G. Johnson, P.T Rygiewicz, P.A. Beedlow, and W.E.Hogsett. 2005. Estimates of Douglas-fir fine root production and mortality from minirhizotrons. Forest Ecology and Management. 204: 359-370.
- Lee, E.H. , D.T. Tingey, P.A. Beedlow, M.G. Johnson, and R.B. McKane. 2004. A spatial analysis of fine-root biomass from stand data in the Pacific Northwest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 2169-2180.
- Lee, E.H. , D.T. Tingey, P.A. Beedlow, M.G. Johnson, and R.B. McKane. 2004. A spatial analysis of fine-root biomass from stand data in the Pacific Northwest. Can. J. For. Res. 34: 2169-2180.
- Beedlow, P.A., D.T. Tingey, D.L. Phillips, W.E. Hogsett, and D.M. Olszyk. 2004. Rising atmospheric CO2 and carbon sequestration in forests. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2(6):315-322.
- Lewis, J.D., R.B. McKane, D.T. Tingey, and P.A. Beedlow. 2000. Vertical gradients in photosynthetic light response within an old-growth Douglas-fir and western hemlock canopy. Tree Physiology 20:447-456.
- Thiede, M.E., S.O. Link, R.J. Fellows, and P.A Beedlow. 1995. Effects of gamma radiation on stem diameter growth, carbon gain, and biomass partitioning in Helianthus annuus. Env. & Exp. Botany 35:33-41.
- Link, S.O., G.W. Gee, M.E, Thiede, and P.A. Beedlow. 1990. Response of a shrub-steppe ecosystem to fire: soil water and vegetational change. Arid Soil Research and Rehabilitation 3:163-172.
- Rogers, L.E., N.E. Woodley, J.K. Sheldon, and P.A. Beedlow. 1988. Food Habits of Darkling Beetles (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) within a Shrub-Steppe Ecosystem. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 81:782-791.
- Gee, G.W., P.A. Beedlow, and R.L. Skaggs. 1988. Water Balance. Pages 61-84 in W.H. Rickard, L.E. Rogers, B.E. Vaughan, and S.F. Liebetrau, editors. Shrub-Steppe: balance and change in a semi-arid terrestrial ecosystem. Elsevier.
- Beedlow, P.A., L.E. Rogers, and P. Van Voris. 1988. Disturbance and Recovery in the Shrub-Steppe Ecosystem. Pages 258-270 in W.H. Rickard, L.E. Rogers, B.E. Vaughan, and S.F. Liebetrau, editors. Shrub-Steppe: balance and change in a semi-arid terrestrial ecosystem. Elsevier.
- Beedlow, P.A., D.S. Daly, and M.E. Thiede. 1986. A new device for measuring fluctuations in plant stem diameter: implications for monitoring plant responses. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 6:277-282.