Thomas M. Kincaid
Freshwater Ecology Branch
- .Ph.D., Oregon State University, Statistics, 1998
- University f Rhode Island, Statistics, 1981
- B.S., Cornell University, Biology, 1971
- 1994–2006, Environmental Statistician, Dynamac Corp. / ManTech Environmental, Corvallis, OR
- 1989-1994, Graduate Assistant, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- 1983-1989, Research Biologist / Ecologist, U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground, Dugway, UT
- 1981-1983, Statistician, TRC Environmental Consultants, East Hartford, CT
- 1979-1981, Graduate Assistant, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- 1971-1976, Biologist, Ichthyological Associates, Pottstown, PA
Research Interests and Skills:
- Design and analysis of spatially-balanced probability surveys
- Variance component estimation for indicators of aquatic resources
- Trend detection in repeated surveys of ecological resources
- Statistical methodology for distinguishing differences among cumulative distribution functions
- Sigma Xi (Scientific Research Society)
- Dynamac Corp. Technical Achievement Awards (12)
- Larsen, D.P., A.R. Olsen, S. Lanigan, C. Moyer, K. Jones, and T.M. Kincaid. 2006. Sound survey designs can facilitate integrating stream monitoring data across multiple programs. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (Accepted).
- Kincaid, T.M., D.P. Larsen, and N.S. Urquhart. 2004. The structure of variation and its influence on the estimation of status: Indicators of condition of lakes in the Northeast, U.S.A. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 98: 1-21.
- Larsen, D.P., P.R. Kaufmann, T.M. Kincaid, and N.S. Urquhart. 2004. Detecting persistent change in the habitat of salmon-bearing streams in the Pacific Northwest. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61: 283-291.
- Whittier, T.R., D.P. Larsen, S.A. Peterson, and T.M. Kincaid. 2002. A comparison of impoundments and natural drainage lakes in the Northeast U.S.A. Hydrobiologia 470: 157-171.
- Larsen, D.P., T.M. Kincaid, S.E. Jacobs, and N.S. Urquhart. 2001. Designs for evaluating local and regional scale trends. BioScience 52: 1069-1078.
- Stemberger, R.S., D.P. Larsen, and T.M. Kincaid. 2001. Sensitivity of zooplankton for regional lake monitoring. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58: 2222-2232.
- Kincaid, T.M. 2000. Testing for differences between cumulative distribution functions from complex environmental sampling surveys. In 2000 Proceedings of the Section on Statistics and the Environment. American Statistical Association, Alexandria, VA. pp. 39-44.
- Urquhart, N.S. and T.M. Kincaid. 1999. Designs for detecting trend from repeated surveys of ecological resources. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 4: 404-414.
- Whittier, T.R. and T. M. Kincaid. 1999. Introduced fish in Northeastern U.S.A. lakes: Regional extent, dominance, and effect on native species richness. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 128: 769-783.
- Hughes, R. M., P.R. Kaufmann, A.T. Herlihy, T.M. Kincaid, L.Reynolds, and D.P. Larsen. 1998. A process for developing and evaluating indices of fish assemblage integrity. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 55: 1618- 1631.
- Stevens, D.L., and T.M. Kincaid. 1998. Variance estimation for subpopulations parameters from samples of spatial environmental populations. In 1997 Proceedings of the Section on Survey Research Methods. American Statistical Association, Alexandria, VA. pp. 86-95.