Freshwater Ecology Branch
M.S., Botany (Plant Ecology major), Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon, 1985
B.S., Botany (Plant Physiology emphasis), Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon, 1977
1996 – 2009: Plant Ecologist IV, Dynamac Corporation, Corvallis, Oregon
- 1993 – 1996: Plant Ecologist, Senior Scientist, ManTech Environmental Services, Corvallis, Oregon
- 1992 – 1993: Plant Ecologist, Research Contract, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Corvallis, Oregon
- 1985 – 1992: Plant Ecologist/Botanist, Independent Researcher,
--Ecological research or monitoring contracts (Boyce Thompson Research Institute, Ithaca, New York; PIC, Inc, Denver, Colorado; Oregon Department of Agriculture, Native Plant Conservation Program, Corvallis, Oregon; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Corvallis, Oregon; The Nature Conservancy)
--Sabbatical replacement teaching appointments in botany/ecology (Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon; Department of Biology, Willamette University, Salem, Oregon)
Research Interests and Skills:
- Wetland ecology
- Assessment of ecological condition
- Development of ecological indicators of condition
- Ecology of invasive alien plant species
- Riparian ecology
- Multivariate analysis of ecological data
Key member of the ORD Team providing support to Office of Water, Wetlands Division by developing and testing methods for the National Wetland Condition Assessment and writing protocols for the Field Operations Manual.
Selected Publications -- Journal Articles:
- Scozzafava, M., M.E. Kentula, E. Riley, T.K. Magee, L. Hall, G. Serenbetz, R. Sumner, C. Faulkner, M. Price. 2011. The National Wetland Condition Assessment: National data on wetland quality to inform and improve wetlands protection. National Wetlands Newsletter 33: 11-13
- Magee T.K., P.L. Ringold, M.A. Bollman, and T.L. Ernst. 2010. Index of Alien Impact (IAI): A method for evaluating alien plant species in native ecosystems. Environmental Management 45: 759-778.
- Ringold, P. L., T. K. Magee, and D. V. Peck. 2008. Twelve invasive plant taxa in US western riparian ecosystems. Journal of North American Benthological Society 27:949-966.
- Magee, T. K., P. L. Ringold, and M. A. Bollman. 2008. Alien species importance in native vegetation along wadeable streams, John Day River basin, Oregon, USA. Plant Ecology 195:287-307.
- Magee, T.K. and M.E. Kentula. 2005. Relationships of freshwater wetland plant species to hydrologic conditions. Wetland Ecology and Management: 163-181.
- Magee, T.K., T.L. Ernst, M.E. Kentula, and K.A. Dwire. 1999. Floristic comparison of freshwater wetlands in an urbanizing environment. Wetlands 19:517-534.
- Magee, T.K. and J.A. Antos. 1992. Tree invasion into a mountain-top meadow in the Oregon Coast Range, USA. Journal of Vegetation Science 3:485-494.
Selected Publications -- Peer Reviewed Reports:
- Kentula M.E., T.K. Magee, and A. M. Nahlik. 2011. Potential Frameworks for Reporting on Ecological Condition and Ecosystem Services for the 2011 National Wetland Condition Assessment. EPA/600/R-11/104. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC.
- USEPA (2011) National Wetland Condition Assessment: Field Operations Manual. EPA/843/R10/001. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C. (Served as team member for developing and writing the methods manual.)
- Scozzafava, M., M.E. Kentula, E. Riley, T.K. Magee, L. Hall, G. Serenbetz, R. Sumner, C. Faulkner, M. Price. 2011. Tracking trends in the quality of the nation's wetlands -- A powerful supplement to status and trends. Pages 81-85 in: Dahl TE (ed) Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 2004 to 2009. U.S. Department of the Interior; Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, D.C.
- Peck, D.V., A.T. Herlihy, B.H. Hill, R.M. Hughes, P.R. Kaufmann, D.J. Klemm, J.M. Lazorchak, F.H. McCormick, S.A. Peterson, P.L. Ringold, T. Magee, and M.R. Cappaert. 2006. Environmental Monitoring, and Assessment Program—Surface Waters Western Pilot Study: field operations manual for wadeable streams. EPA/620-R-06/003. Office of Research and Development, US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- Magee, T.K., K.A. Dwire, S.E. Gwin, P.W. Shaffer, C.C. Holland, and J. Honea. 1995. Field and Laboratory Operations Report for the Oregon Wetlands Study. EPA/600/R-95/024. Corvallis, OR: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory, 173 pp.
- Magee, T.K., S.E. Gwin, R.G. Gibson, C.C. Holland, J. Honea, P.W. Shaffer, J.C. Sifneos, and M.E. Kentula. 1993. Research Plan and Methods Manual for the Oregon Wetlands Study. EPA/600/r-93/072. Corvallis, OR: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory, 174 pp.
- Magee, T.K., K.A. Dwire, C.C. Holland, S.E. Gwin, R.G. Gibson, J. Honea, P.W. Shaffer, J.C. Sifneos, and M.E. Kentula. 1993. Quality Assurance Project Plan for the Oregon Wetlands Study. EPA/600/R-93/221. Corvallis, OR: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory, 220 pp.