David V. Peck
Aquatic Monitoring & Bioassessment Branch
- B.S. (with high honors) Florida Institute of Technology, Biological Sciences, 1976
- M.S. Florida Institute of Technology, Biological Sciences (ecology), 1978
- Post-graduate studies, University of Oklahoma, Zoology (aquatic ecology), 1978-1984
- 1992-1995: Technical Support Supervisor, Aquatic Sciences and Quality Assurance Section, Lockheed Environmental Systems and Technologies Co., Las Vegas NV
- 1984-1992: Senior and Principal Scientist (Aquatic Ecologist), Lockheed Environmental Systems and Technologies Co., Las Vegas NV
Research Interests and Skills:
- Aquatic community ecology (lakes and streams)
- Development and evaluation of ecological indicators, particularly those associated with biological assemblages
- Bioassessment approaches and methodologies
- Field sampling protocol development and training
- Field logistics and implementation of environmental surveys
- Quality assurance of ecological data
Appointments / Honors:
- National Water Quality Monitoring Council, Biological Methods Focus Group, 2001-2002
- EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, 2001
- EPA Office of Research and Development Ecological Indicators Workgroup, 1996-2001
- EPA Environmental Monitoring Methods Council- Biological Advisory Committee, 1996-2000
- Klemm, D.J., K.A. Blocksom, F.A. Fulk, A.T. Herlihy, R.M. Hughes, P.R. Kaufmann, D.V. Peck, J.L. Stoddard, W.T. Thoeny, M.B. Griffith, and W.S. Davis. 2003. Development and evaluation of a macroinvertebrate biotic integrity index (MBII) for regionally assessing Mid-Atlantic Highlands streams. Environmental Management 31:656-669.
- McCormick, F.H., R.M. Hughes, P.R. Kaufmann, D.V. Peck, J.L. Stoddard, and A.T. Herlihy. 2001. Development of an index of biotic integrity for the Mid-Atlantic Highlands region. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 130:857-877.
- Whittier, T.R., R.M. Hughes, and D.V. Peck. 2001. Comment: Test of an Index of Biotic Integrity. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc.130:167-172.
- McCormick, F.H., D.V. Peck, and D.P. Larsen. 2000. Comparison of geographic classification schemes for Mid-Atlantic stream fish assemblages. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 19(3):385-404.
- Lazorchak, J.L., B.H. Hill, D.K. Averill, D.V. Peck, and D.J. Klemm, Editors. 2000. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program-Surface Waters: Field Operations and Methods for Measuring the Ecological Condition of Non- Wadeable Rivers and Streams. EPA/620/R-00/007. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- McCormick, F.H., and D.V. Peck. 2000. Application of the indicator evaluation guidelines to a multimetric indicator of ecological condition based on stream fish assemblages. Pages 4-1 to 4-45 in L.E. Jackson, J.C. Kurtz, and W.S. Fisher, Editors. Evaluation Guidelines for Ecological Indicators. EPA/620/R-99/005. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- Kaufmann, P.R., P. Levine, E.G. Robison, C. Seeliger, and D.V. Peck. 1999. Quantifying Physical Habitat in Wadeable Streams. EPA/620/R-99/003. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- Lazorchak, J.L., D.J. Klemm, and D.V. Peck, Editors. 1998. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program-Surface Waters: Field Operations and Methods for Measuring the Ecological Condition of Wadeable Streams. EPA/620/R-94/004F. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- Baker, J.R., D.V. Peck, and D.W. Sutton. 1997. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program-Surface Waters: Field Operations Manual for Lakes. EPA/620/R-97/001. USEPA, Washington, DC.
- Metcalf, R.C. and D.V. Peck. 1993. A dilute standard for pH, conductivity, and acid neutralizing capacity measurement. Journal f Freshwater Ecology 8:67-72.
- Peck, D.V. and R.C. Metcalf. 1991. Dilute, neutral pH standard of known conductivity and acid neutralizing capacity. Analyst 116:221-231.