About the Land and Materials Management Division (LMMD) of EPA's National Risk Management Research Laboratory (NRMRL)
What We Do
The Land and Materials Management Division (LMMD) mission is to provide innovative and effective technologies, guidance, and tools that can be used to manage land resources in a more sustainable and productive manner. LMMD research produces results that enhance and improve our ability to:
- manage and remediate land
- advance a more sustainable use of natural and engineered resources
- provide system-based decision-making approaches that better protect human and environmental health
- prepare for and respond to urgent Agency technical support needs
- provide technical guidance on end of life risk management for materials.
The research conducted in LMMD supports the regulatory and non-regulatory needs of the Office of Land and Emergency Management, including the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (i.e., Superfund), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and National Oil and Hazardous Substances Contingency Plan; and supports the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention.