About the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory (NHEERL)
What We Do
The National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory (NHEERL) conducts systems-based, effects research needed to achieve sustainable health and wellbeing. Research encompasses both human and ecosystem health, in that they are inextricably linked.
NHEERL Strategic Goals:
- Lead innovative research and predictive modeling efforts that link environmental condition to the health and wellbeing of people and society.
- Advance research and tools for achieving sustainable and resilient watersheds and water resources.
- Advance systems-based research to predict the adverse effects of chemicals and other stressors across species and biological levels of organization through the development and quantification of adverse outcomes pathways across multiple scales.
- Use integrated research to identify and characterize modifiable factors that respond to environmental conditions, and through intervention, improve health and wellbeing.
- Translate and communicate integrated environmental and health effects science to impact decisions positively at all levels.
Wayne Cascio, Acting Director
Kay Holt, Deputy Director
- Phone: 919-541-0633
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
William S. Fisher, Acting Associate Director for Ecology
- Phone: 919-541-2281
- Email: email@example.com
Ronald N. Hines, Associate Director for Health
The National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory includes: