Tribal Coordination by the Office of Environmental Information (OEI)
Within OEI, the Office of Business Operations & Service coordinates OEI's Tribal Program, including:
- providing advice on efforts requiring consultation with tribal governments;
- providing guidance on projects and efforts that would benefit from increased tribal awareness; and
- representing the office on various internal and external workgroups to address tribal issues and concerns from an agency perspective.
Several of OEI's offices are working across the organization to address these concerns by:
- implementing an office-wide Tribal Strategy to increase tribal awareness of and participation in EPA's information efforts, including the Exchange Network, the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program, and data quality efforts; and
- ensuring consultation with tribal governments on relevant efforts.
On this page, you can learn more about:
Now Available: OEI's 2015 Tribal Accomplishments Report. This report documents progress made in 2015 toward achieving the goals outlined in OEI's Tribal Strategy and represents a commitment to continued outreach and consultation with tribal partners.
OEI intends to publish an annual Tribal Accomplishments Report to:
- Continue the conversation with tribes to identify needed changes or updates to the Tribal Strategy,
- Discuss EPA's information efforts and concerns of tribes, and
- Expand discussion and coordination across OEI and the EPA tribal program.
EPA welcomes your feedback on OEI's Tribal Accomplishments Report, which will help us to improve our outreach and engagement with tribes.
- OEI FY 2014 Tribal Accomplishments Report
- OEI FY 2013 Tribal Accomplishments Report
- OEI FY 2012 Tribal Accomplishments Report
- For OEI FY 2010 and 2011 Tribal Accomplishments Reports, please search EPA Archive Search EPA Archive
- OEI’s Tribal Strategy
- By email:
Beth Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- By mail:
US Environmental Protection Agency
Attn: Elizabeth Jackson
Mail Code 2842T
1200 Pennsylvania Ave, NW Washington, DC 20460
The purpose of OEI’s Tribal Strategy is to maximize the quality and usefulness of the environmental information and analytical tools available for making informed decisions in Indian country and other tribal lands. The OEI Tribal Strategy supports:
- EPA’s mission to protect human health and the environment, while recognizing the unique needs of Indian Tribes (including Alaska Native Villages (ANV);
- OEI’s work with EPA programs, regional offices and tribes on the importance of environmental data for supporting EPA and tribal priorities;
- Tribal self-governance; and
- Relationships between EPA and tribes.
OEI is committed to measuring progress toward achieving the goals outlined in the Tribal Strategy and to continuing outreach and consultation with tribes. OEI will use the annual Tribal Accomplishments Report to detail activities and achievements in support of the Tribal Strategy. The Strategy will be updated every five years based on accomplishments made and feedback received from tribes.