Clean Air Markets - Power Sector Modeling
This area provides information and documentation on EPA’s power sector modeling resources and power sector modeling regulatory applications. In the last few years, EPA has engaged with state air quality planning officials, power company representatives, regional transmission organizations, federal and research organizations and others working on power sector modeling who have provided input on the data, assumptions, and structure of EPA's power sector analytical tools.
EPA uses the Integrated Planning Model (IPM) to analyze the projected impact of environmental policies on the electric power sector. In addition to IPM, EPA uses additional complementary analytical tools and approaches informing power sector projections and regulatory actions.
Power Sector Modeling Resources
- NEEDS v6 - Latest National Electric Energy Data System
- EPA's Power Sector Modeling Platform v6 using IPM - Documentation and outputs.
- Results Viewer - A spreadsheet tool to compare different IPM runs in conjunction with historical data
- Retrofit Cost Analyzer - A spreadsheet tool to estimate the cost of building and operating pollution controls.
- Energy Resources for State, Local, and Tribal Governments - Includes tools that estimate emission, health, and economic benefits of clean energy policies and programs (such as AVERT and COBRA).
- Clean Air Markets Data Resources - Includes historical power sector data from AMPD and eGRID
Power Sector Modeling Regulatory Applications
EPA’s guidance regarding electricity generating unit (EGU) emission inventories, key modeling/projection input assumptions, appropriate data sources, and general methodological criteria is available in Section 5.3.1 of the Air Emissions Inventory Guidance, including references to state-developed resources like ERTAC and NE-MARKAL.
- Final ACE Rule
- Proposed ACE Rule
- Final CSAPR Close-Out
- Proposed CSAPR Close-Out
- Notice of Data Availability: Preliminary Interstate Ozone Transport Modeling Data for the 2015 Ozone NAAQS
- The Cross-State Air Pollution Rule Update
- The Clean Power Plan
- Previous Power Sector Modeling Regulatory Applications
If you have any questions, please contact CAMD using our online form