News Releases from Region 04
EPA Awards Undergraduate Fellowship to Rollins College Student to Further Environmental Science Research
ATLANTA – Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced that Alexander Peterson, at Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla. is one of 34 undergraduate students at 28 colleges and universities across the nation to receive a Greater Research Opportunities (GRO) Fellowship. The awards, part of EPA's Greater Research Opportunities (GRO) fellowship program, help inspire the next generation of environmental scientists and engineers and provide students the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with agency scientists.
“With the help of this funding, undergraduates will be able to explore their passion in environmental science and cultivate their research skills,” said Thomas A. Burke, EPA science advisor and deputy assistant administrator of EPA's Office of Research and Development. “These fellows are the next generation of scientists, who will help lead the way in protecting the environment and public health.”
The fellowship provides a maximum of $50,000 for up to two years to each student and a summer internship at an EPA facility where students can work alongside EPA’s engineers and scientists. These students are pursuing degrees in environmental science and other related fields, including engineering, environmental health, and the physical sciences.
The 2015 fellowships have been awarded to students at the following universities:
- Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C.
- Buena Vista University, Storm Lake, Iowa
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Wash.
- Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
- College of Saint Benedict, St. Joseph, Minn.
- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Va.
- Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa.
- East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tenn.
- Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Mich.
- Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa.
- Haverford College, Haverford, Pa.
- Lafayette College, Easton, Pa.
- Miami University – Oxford, Oxford, Ohio
- Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Mich.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Mo.
- Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
- Prescott College, Prescott, Ariz.
- Rollins College, Winter Park, Fla.
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Unity College, Unity, Maine
- University of Hartford, West Hartford, Conn.
- University of Kentucky, Paducah, Ky.
- University of Maryland – Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, Md.
- University of Tennessee – Knoxville, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Ky.
- Willamette University, Salem, Ore.
Since its inception in 1981, the GRO Fellowship program has awarded more than $13 million in funding to nearly 400 students.
More about the 2015 GRO Fellows: https://www.epa.gov/research-fellowships/star-graduate-and-gro-undergraduate-fellowship-recipient-list#gro
More information about the GRO Program: https://www.epa.gov/research-fellowships
Connect with EPA Region 4 on Facebook: www.facebook.com/eparegion4
And on Twitter: @EPASoutheast