Targeted Brownfields Assessments in Region 8
What is a TBA?
EPA provides environmental assessment services free of charge to communities through the Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) program. TBA applications are accepted anytime throughout the year.
Assistance can encompass one or more of the following activities on Brownfields properties:
- Phase I assessment, including a background and historical investigation and a preliminary property inspection.
- Phase II environmental assessment, including sampling activities to identify the types and concentrations of contaminants and the areas of contamination.
- Cleanup options and cost estimates based on future uses and redevelopment plans.
TBAs are not grants, but rather assessments conducted by environmental consultants under contract funded by EPA Region 8 at no cost to the community. Funds for actual cleanup or demolition work are not available under this program.
Who is Eligible to Request Assistance?
TBA funding may only be used on Brownfields properties, and the applicant must fall into one of the following categories:
- Public and non-profit entities (e.g., municipalities or community development corporations) and tribes.
- Private owners may be considered if redevelopment plans include a commitment to provide a clear and substantial public benefit.
Properties where the applicant could be considered to have caused or contributed to the contamination are not eligible for assistance under this program.
How Do I Request Assistance?
If you are interested in receiving Brownfields assessment assistance, please complete the application and submit to Chrstina Wilson at the address below. You can also call or e-mail Christina with any questions.
Brownfields TBA Application
- Brownfields TBA Application(2 pp, 148 K)
Brownfields Project Manager
1595 Wynkoop Street
Denver, CO 80202