Environmental Justice for Permitting in EPA's Pacific Southwest (Region 9)
EPA has issued two documents outlining the first steps EPA is taking to consider environmental justice and to engage overburdened communities in the permitting process.
The first document is Supporting Community-Based Action Programs EPA Actions document which identifies activities and approaches to promote public involvement by overburdened communities in the permitting process, particularly for major permitted activities that may significantly impact these communities.
The second document is Promising Practices for Permit Applicants. This document encourages permit applicants operating or proposing to operate facilities in overburden communities to strategically plan and conduct enhanced outreach during the permitting process.
- Considering Environmental Justice in Permitting
- EJ Permitting Plan Federal Register Notice (PDF) (10pp, 255K, About PDF)
In addition to these documents, EPA Pacific Southwest (Region 9) has developed an implementation plan to explain how it will encourage meaningful engagement of such communities on EPA-issued permits.
Region 9 CAA Permitting Focus
- Electronic Permit Submittal System
- Air Permit Delegation Agreements
- Title V Program Evaluations
- Environmental Justice in Permitting
- Region 9 Tribes that are Affected States under the Title V Permitting Program